Elimuinate the 337?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2580D

Elimuinate the 337?

Post by N2580D »

I just read the latest edition of the Idaho Aviation Assoc. "Fly Line". Pages 10 and 11 have an article that scares the willies out of me. Seems that in Alaska the FAA has decided to ELIMINATE the 337 field apporval process. Any modifications would have to go through the STC route. Now this hasn't been finalized as yet, and it "may" only apply to Alaska, but I think it might be advisable for any of us who might like to make any sort of modification (ever, of any sort) to our birds to look into this and get ready to write lots of letters.
Pete
Pete Kuckenberg
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Read it again, Pete. I think you got it wrong. It's even worse than that if it goes through.
BL
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Guess I better hurry up and pay off my loan so I can take my 54' 170B to the experimental category! I've often thought as I read all the posts about folks getting wrapped around the axel with all these STCs, 337s, and Field Approvals....that our airplanes would be much better off if we spent just half the time turning wrenches that we do worrying about all the blasted paperwork :x The FAA already makes it hard enough to get things done on our 170s, if these rumored changes go into effect, it will only lead to more folks doing the work and not worrying about the paperwork. I'd sure love to be able to document all the work I do on my plane in the logbook...or I should say WANT to do and not worry about the FAA trying to help me out with a stack of paperwork in one hand and violation tablet in the other :evil:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

John,please explain the process you will go thru to "take my '54 170 to the experimental category".

Eric
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

It is extremely difficult to take a certified aircraft into the experimental catigory. In order for the FAA to approve this the aircraft would have to become a substantially different aircraft, ie you would have to put a different set of wings and tail on the aircraft, or possibly an auto engine. You can't just start doing your own maintenance and call it experimental. The FAA has a big bug on this one. A number of folks have tried this with the PA-12 because of its use in Alaska, and have run into great difficulty.

Bill
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I see that Bill just answered your question...as well as mine, Eric :( Seems every time there is a possibility of getting away from all the legal paperwork, the helpful FAA steps in....to help us of course. But wait...the Cessna 170 is, or is being added to the list of basic aircraft (fixed pitch prop and fixed gear, etc.) in Canada eligible for the "owner maintained" category. Question is now, do I want to move to Canada and have my aircraft registered in Canada? HA, food for discussion as it would be much cheaper to pay an A&P to do all the MX that I can't legally do as opposed to moving to Canada. Oh well, in the end, owning and flying a Cessna 170 is worth all the hassles one has to go through in getting this and that approved by the feds who see to it that technical advances are stifled by paperwork and expenses are kept as high as possible :roll:

Hey, perhaps someone will market a "home built" Cessna 170 kit? Build your own 170 from modern parts using modern technology. HUMMMMM....
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
mit

Post by mit »

[
Hey, perhaps someone will market a "home built" Cessna 170 kit? Build your own 170 from modern parts using modern technology. HUMMMMM....[/quote]

Its been done its called The Cyclone they had kits in C-170, C-172, C-175, C-180, C-182 and C-185. Made in Canada. AVionnerie Lac-st-jean Inc. Dolbeau, QC Tel. (418) 276-7903 the info I have is a few years old.

The FAA is haveing a safty meeting here tomorrow night with the latest INFO on the field approval process if they say anything interesting I will post it here.
Tim
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

For quite some time,Air Repair Incorporated's (formerly Bird Dog Aviation) ad in Trade a Plane promised a kit version of the L-19 BirdDog.
I just checked a current T-A-P,their ad now sez "NEW L-19's available completely assembled in flyaway condition".
Hmmmmmm.....

Eric
David Laseter

Field Approval

Post by David Laseter »

That's what delayed us in Oct when we were moving from AK to AR..
I took the plane into Merrill Field to have a transponder/mode C, put in so we could re-enter the US.. While I was there, a FAA fellar came and upon my leaving the shop called a meeting. I know because I stepped back in, to ask a question, and it looked like a fight was commencing.
Anyway I got a call that evening apologizing that my plane would be down for maybe 3 weeks while they waited for a 337, since no more field approvals would be allowed. This is, IF I wanted them to start the job. Worse, was the plane in front of me who's work was mid-way. They called the owner and told him that his plane WOULD be grounded until a 337 could be obtained. :evil: Of course, all this is on top of my wife flying back up for the trip, closing on our house, & under time limits between work and weather.
I spent the next day on the phone, with several FAA folks and getting a waiver to go without a tranponder. After being delayed a day, they got permission to go ahead (sorta) and then sent me the 337 a couple of weeks later. The sorta part made me nervous.
Last edited by David Laseter on Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Straight from the mouth of my FSDO inspector's email to me about this:

"Change 15 to Handbook Order 8300.10 does not specifically speak to Alaska. The guidance is domain to the entire United States of America,..."

In other words, according to him....Change 15 was rescinded for the entire U.S. Essentially this means that field approvals are back to the way they were.