Amphib Floats

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Doug Martin

Amphib Floats

Post by Doug Martin »

I recall seeing a set of amphib floats for a 170B for sale a number of months ago. Does anyone recall the make/displacement and what kind of price a good used set will run?? Also what the useful wt. penalty might be?
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

On straight Edo 2000's you will barely be able to carry two people and gas! The Amphib you saw were Edo's and I can't recall the floatation. I know a lot about floats and I will tell you that they are worth whatever he wants. They are few and far between. They would also be maintenace nightmares and Edo wants ton's of money for parts. You'd be better off with new Wiplines. If you can't afford the crazy price for Wip Amphibs you can't afford old Edo Amphibs!! The 170 is a real good performer on straight floats with a 180 hp or more.

Kelly
flyguy

Floating sinkers

Post by flyguy »

A stock 145HP 170 with - - 2000 floats performs so marginaly that is should only be considered a two place airplane. Been there done that.

I am sure that adding the weight and extra drag of amphibs would exacerbate the marginal peformance even more. If the floats that are/were for sale were 2500 or better they would be a lot heavier and probably put the plane in a single place category. My FWIW 8)