Door Seals...not sure what I got?????

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tailpilot

Door Seals...not sure what I got?????

Post by tailpilot »

Has anybody ordered the door and window seals from aircraftdoorseals.com ? I just ordered some 259.00 8O and when they came in the mail they looked just like the weather stripping I can get at Home Depot for just a couple of bucks :evil: The only difference is they are faa approved. This is just my observation, maybe they are better than that
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

FAA approved for what? I've got an alternator approved for a Hawker jet, but it's not to be put on a 170!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
MeeksDigital

Post by MeeksDigital »

who is this "FAA" that you speak of? :wink:
-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

it is approved for the 170. I it came with a pma sticker......I am just wondering if this stuff is made of something different than the home depot stuff or not. It sure looks the same. And wondering if anybody has used it and if so does it work.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Send it back and use the Piper seal George told us about on the doors. Then HD for the window seals. I like the 1/2 round about 3/8" I think for the windows.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm especially happy with the BA-1055 from Brown Aircraft Supply for the windows.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sean

Having used the Home Depot stuff with mixed results I can say that I'd be leery. These doors just don't work to well if they're under any pressure to close has been my experience. Perhaps for the price this foam has advanced qualities that will make it work better in our application.

If the company guarantees your satisfaction or you'd like to be a guinea pig for the rest of us go ahead a try it. :D

For the money I'd stick to the material already proven to work.

Been there done that got the T-shirt but still dealing with goofy door and window seals from Home Depot because I can't bring myself to part with $300 to do it right. And besides a little draft isn't bad except in the winter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I was only suggesting HD for the windows and not saying they're the best by any means. What I really likes was the Piper seal for the doors. I didn't find the BA-1055 on their site just now to be able to confirm that's what I used so I'll try to look up the number when I can get to it.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sorry, Dave. That's the BA-1055-1 see it at:
http://www.brownaircraft.com/Merchant2/ ... =BA-1055-1
from http://www.brownaircraft.com/
Tell 'em you're a TIC170A member and that's how you found out about them. (I'll be asking them for assoc'n support later this year.)
yukontools

Aircraft Door Seals

Post by yukontools »

Sean,
I installed both window (p/n 900-900) and front entry door (500-600) seals from Aircraft Door Seals last spring and am very pleased with them. You are right they are expensive both they are great. The p/n I ordered installs on the body of the plane so the only downfall is reminding yourself and passengers not to drag their feet when the get in/out of the bird. My plane is much warmer and quieter. I have a 180 hp and anything to cut the noise is a welcome sight. Because it is approved and is for a plane we pay the price. Price out a new u-bolt for your tailwheel assembly if you want a real shocker-$1,600.00. There are much cheaper ones available. With vintage aircraft the doors never remain the same as when they were new and this seal is very pliable. The most time comsuming part of this is removing the old seal and cleaning it thouroughly-about 2 hours per door. The kit comes with some silicone that is nothing more than dry-fly float for fly fishing. A yearly application of this is all that is needed. Alaska temps seem not to bother it at all. There is plenty of material with some leftover if you need to replace some.
Today in Alaska we gained 8 seconds of daylight. I wanted to fly yesterday,the shortest day of the year, but that was the last day of school and I have night flying restriction.
Jon
Galena, Alaska
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

gahorn wrote:Sorry, Dave. That's the BA-1055-1 see it at:
http://www.brownaircraft.com/Merchant2/ ... =BA-1055-1
from http://www.brownaircraft.com/
Tell 'em you're a TIC170A member and that's how you found out about them. (I'll be asking them for assoc'n support later this year.)
Good George, I think I'll try that as the window seals on the 180 when the time comes. But I'm not sure on the Piper seal number that I used that worked so well on the door.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

Hello all......well.....I talked to the guy at aircraft door seals and he gave me the whole scoop on the door seals......I looked them over real good, and they are different than HD weather strip. they are alot thicker and more rubbier.......is that a word.......anyway I put them on and they look great....I am pleased with them. What the stuff reminds me of in memory foam. The guy calimed to be a project manager of one of the space shuttle missions and this im some of the same compund as the seals they use on the fuel tanks........oh well we will see how it holds up...
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Is that the same stuff they used on the Challenger? :roll: (just kidding)
In any case, although I actually think this sort of issue is not as important as some FSDO types think it is...it still smacks of the Hawker alternator in a 170. (Does spaceshuttle seal qualify as 170 doorseal? Does Piper weatherstrip? Will a non PMA clock suffice for an IFR flight? Must we copy our clearances with a black, government, ballpoint made by disadvantaged, minority-owned businesses?) :roll:
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I actually comes with a faa pma sticker that says most of the cessna types including 170 a and b . You know I almost asked him if it was the Challenger but I couldnt bring myself to it :twisted:

HMMMMM I wonder if a Hawker Alt would work :?: ...I bet it could power all of my stuff :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

115 Volts AC, random frequency. Make offer. :lol: