Interior Restoration/Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

superpilot_75965

Paint

Post by superpilot_75965 »

I just had my 170A painted at Jacksonville TX Airport JSO. The quality was outstanding. Quoted paint price was 5900. I had slight hail damage and dents. Also Corrossion x while control surfaces removed. Total tab was $7200. Pictures available. (bkrause@netdot.com.)
4-Shipp

Paint Job Prices

Post by 4-Shipp »

9CP was painted by the previous owner in 1999. The work was done by Sky Harbour Refinishing in Goderich, Ontario. N0t much help for you southern folks but it may give you and idea of prices. Invoice as follows:

Strip and refinish AC - $7100
7 hours corrosion removal and body work - 315
20" registratin numbers on wings - 300
Paint wheel pants - 200
Balance controls - 225
Stainless steel screw kit (installed) - 150
Corrosion proofing with ACF-50 - 500

Grand Total: $8790! Ouch!!!

I'm glad he did it on his credit card and not mine. The workmanship is excellent and it gets many compliments from knowledgeable folks. Teal on white with balck striping. Lots of masking - NO overspray! They took their time and did good work, but he paid for it.

AS for strippers (the kind that removes paint from airplanes!) a friend in Canada stripped his 180 with a water soluble EPA freindly product in his hangar. Any of you familiar with this? If not I can try to get some more info from him.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Please post more information on the environmental friendly
Canadian stripper (the paint stripper that is!).

We've been using ZEP on our projects and it works fantastically,
but it's some nasty, nasty stuff.....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
JDH

Post by JDH »

Hey Bruce, Sky Harbour does have one of the best reputations in Central/Eastern Canada. Usually no orange pealing and fabulous workmanship. And if the previous owner's invoice was in Canadian Pesos ($), converted back into US greenbacks, turns out pretty cheap and reason why alot of guys from Northern New England go there to get a paint job. JD
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I have a 1950 model and would like to restore to an original paint scheme and color. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of these? Of course, I would love NOT to pay a ton of money for them either. I assume that cessna has them, but I am sure they are very proud of them as well. Are there any other sources of these pictures?
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A far as I know,the 49-51 A models all had the same paint design. Buy a copy of The 170 Book from the Assn,there's lotsa pictures of 170's. However,they don't have any kind of dimensional info to use when laying out the trim.
By the way,my favorite factory paint scheme is the 1952 version.

Eric
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Nope JD, those were US funds on that invoice! I will get an email off to ny Canadian friend reference the stripper ASAP. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
N2540V

Environmentally Friendly Strippers

Post by N2540V »

[quote="N170BP"]Please post more information on the environmental friendly
Canadian stripper (the paint stripper that is!).

I enjoyed the 35A paint stripper from Napier Environmental.
US Sales Rep Arthur. 205-266-7365 (and I think 941-629-8151)
It worked well with the newer paints and softened the old chemistry paints. Best to apply and let sit all-day or overnight. Scrape off (plastic putty knife). Using a high-pressure water sprayer worked great on the residual paint and cleaning up.

Available in 5 and 55 gal containers. 5 gal was $112.50 US plus shipping. US customs needs business number or Social Security number on invoice.

This is essentially peroxide and aromatic alcohol. Need protective clothing and good gloves. With the hanger open I did not need a respirator. Rolled up plastic sheets from under aircraft and disposed of.
http://www.removall.com/default.asp
Jim