[b]Ditching[/b]

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CAS

[b]Ditching[/b]

Post by CAS »

In THE HANGAR in topic '7:00 x 6" tires' Curtis wrote (in part):

"If forced down into the trees or rough terrain, I think I would fly into the wind full flaps and nose high. With the doors unlatched, seatbelts and shoulder harness full tight and the fuel selector off. Passenger with his seat full back and the pillow held in front.
Not to sure what I would do if I was force to land in the water.
Once talked with friend about perhaps sitting up into the wind full flaps, hold it off as long as possible. Then dip a wing and use rudder to initiate a turning or spinning effect, like a ground loop. Not sure if that would be better than flipping over forward or not. Hope I never have to make this decision."

As the above topic title no longer covers the subject of the thread I am continuing the discussion under the title "Ditching" ....

I agree with Curtis' procedure for a forced landing in rough terrain. I would also move the mixture to ICO and turn master and mags off.
If possible I would also try to touch down in an open area even if it is not long enough for the landing run. It is better to hit trees while on the ground than while still in the air! :(

To ditching... ['landing' on water]
If the water surface is calm (flat) then land into wind - but there won't be much if any wind if the surface is flat!.
If there is a swell or waves DO NOT land into wind if it means landing into the swell/waves (and it usually does). At 50mph or more alighting into an oncoming swell/wave would be like hitting a brick wall!
The best (?) place to alight is along the back of the swell/wave at right angles to its (the waves) direction of travel, selecting the direction most into wind - but it will be mostly, if not all, crosswind.
I would try to touch down as slow as possible in a tail low attitude and expect possibly a bounce and second impact and probably to have the aircraft turn onto its back (this may possibly make exiting the aircraft easier).

I have not had to check this theory out in practice but do a bit of over water flying and have given the topic some thought and research. :)

Another AU$0.04 worth (check the exchange rate). :(

Happy landings and Seasons Greetings :D

David
C170A VH-CAS