Experimental category aircraft

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Probably has something to do with the builder. (Blanik?) I could gather together all the necessary parts to put together a C-170. But without the production certificate and serial number, dataplate, etc.,... it'd just be a Horn C-170. Not a Cessna 170. It'd probably have to be licensed in the Experimental category.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Ok, our L13 was originally sold by LET to the Romanian armed forces as a trainer and is not included by serial number on the list of L13s eligible for a standard US airworthiness certificate. It was bought by someone in the late 80s early 90s and imported into the US. Unfortunately, the importer did not get LET to certify that the ship conforms to the type certificate data sheet which would have allowed the FAA to issue a standard a/w cert. This would have been accomplished on the export paperwork. So, an FAA inspector issued it experimental/exhib which is the only practical way it can be flown in the US. If we took it back to Poland or persuaded an employee of LET to come to the US and certify it, it would be eligible. Now on a practical basis, the experimental status involves sending the FAA a program letter once a year which they stamp "approved" and return to you. We get a "condition inspection" which is essentially an annual once a year and that is it. We have to keep the FAR restrictions for experimental in mind as well as operating limitations. By the way it is a great ship with fwd swept wing design/tail dragger/fowler flaps/retract gear with about 26/1 ratio. It is not a K21 or Discus but is an excellent transition for new glider pilots.
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

Ahhhhh
N3598C, C170B
Plane Captain

N3JX's EXPERIMENTAL CATEGORY

Post by Plane Captain »

I can fly from my base (KRZT) within a 300 mile radius and return (600 mile round-trip 8O with near empty tanks /60 gal. useable). These flights are for proficency & training and I can carry passengers.
Once a year I submit a "Program Letter" to the Cincinnatti" FSDO for the following 12 months, I list anywhere & everywhere I think I may want to fly during that time with the dates and locations stating that these are "organized events" :wink: . I am not asking permission, I am notifing them. If, during the course of time I change my mind and decide not to fly to one of them, nothing changes - no notification required. If I decide I want to fly somewhere I did not include on the program letter, I simply fax that new information to the FSDO the day before. I seldom get any response from the FSDO and when I have, it has always been a positive response.

This has never been what I would consider a problem, it has worked well for me. And since it is "Exp" the feds don't look over my shoulder quite as much :D .
Taildraggers forever! 1952 T170B+, N3JX