j 3 cub

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dward

Post by Dward »

Thanks Bruce! I hope we can link up someday. I've been in love with Clipped Cubs for 20yrs. In my RC days everyone was building replicas of Hazel Sig's blue and white sunburst job. I even had a video of her flying it. I think I just about wore it out playing and rewinding and playing... :lol:
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
iowa

Post by iowa »

i'm going to rebuild it like original!
it didn't explode
it was stalled and crashed;
report said engine failed
but no engine damage was found!
off the record
i think a a little coyote hunting
was taking place? 8O
well, anyway, it's mine now.
and hey, whats so great about clipped wing cubs?
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Congrats Dave! Nice to have another project amongst the fold.
Doug
4583C

Post by 4583C »

iowa wrote: and hey, whats so great about clipped wing cubs?
dave
If that clipped wing cub can haul Bruce AND Miles aloft at the same time I'll be real impressed! :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK Dave it's been about 3 hours since you posted the first picture. What's damaged? We need close-ups. Engine, airframe, wings and such. What size engine?

Lots of yellow there. Was it painted yellow?. What does the greenhouse (window) frames look like?

I'm very exited for you. One thing your going to find redoing the L-4 is EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is available for it. At least the airframe and 98 percent of the engine. It will get a little tougher if you start looking for the military stuff like radios and authentic antennas and such.

And most of the stuff you can probably make your self or buy it made very reasonably priced when you figure the labor and expertise that goes into some of the pieces. There is no such thing as a $2500 stall warning switch.

What is so good about a Clipped Wing Cub? The wings are 6 feet shorter (3 feet on each side) and so a smaller hanger is needed.:D The airplane flies faster at 90 instead of 75 mph. It is more maneuverable or more aerobatic than the stock wing Cub. But the stock wing Cub is still pretty much fun for loops rolls and spins. To be honest the Clipped Wing Cub isn't A CUB but yet it is. I would never Clip a stock wing Cub and I'd never convert mine back to a full wing. (Converting back is not just bolting on stock wings because the strut attach point angles have been altered for the clipped wing angle)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Hi Dave,

Congratulations! Bruce is certainly right about joining the Cub Club and buying all the back issues. The other thing you'll want to get right away, if you don't have it already, is the J3 parts book. Univair and Wag both have them, I believe. It'll be your assembly guide.

One thing you must know about that book though: in the "J3 Control System" drawing, figure 6, page 85, the Stabilizer Yoke (item #96) is shown upside down. It must go on the jackscrew with the pointy-side down. Make a note in your copy of the manual, because it can be hard to fix it once the cover is on!

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

4583C wrote:
iowa wrote: and hey, whats so great about clipped wing cubs?
dave
If that clipped wing cub can haul Bruce AND Miles aloft at the same time I'll be real impressed! :lol:
What are you insinuating there, Paul? :lol:

Actually, I've got some dual in a clip wing cub from an instructor about Bruce's size. I believe it had an 85 in it and I was quite a bit smaller then too. :oops:

Miles
Bruce Fenstermacher

Hey hey what's going on here Paul. Nice pictures Miles. Your in the white, don't know the guy in blue.:?

When my clipped wing had a 65 I'd give rides with the a.c. loaded to max gross of 1220. :wink: To achive this with some passengers I'd have to wait till there was 3 gallons left in the tank which means the gas gage wire wouldn't be showing much.

That would be the first thing that would scare them. Then I'd explain we had 45 minutes of full on board I think we'll make it around the patch.

Second thing that would get them is I'd point at the gap in the trees just to the right of the departure end about 600 feet beyond our 3200 ft paved strip. I'd tell them not to panic because we'll be shooting the gap in the trees. 8O

If they were still on board and once we climbed to a safe altitude of 500 agl which took about 3 minutes they'd get the controls. The flight brief was simple. Relax the throttle to just under max (2250) and keep the airspeed over 73. Under 73 we wouldn't climb and I'd demonstrate how the plane would mush to a stall and we'd be falling like a helicopter in an auto (a rock for you airplane guys).

Buck (caretaker of Doug Mowrys old plane) can verify this story. BTW Buck has a verbal agreement on a Cub himself which will make about 5 guys here at the forum with a 170 and a Cub.

Well I've since put an C-85 in the Cub and wow now she's a real performer. Up to gross :wink: is not a problem even when it gets a little warmer. :D

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:Hey hey what's going on here Paul. Nice pictures Miles. Your in the white, don't know the guy in blue.:?
You know both of them. I'm actually the one in blue. The one in white is our esteemed :roll: moderator. Both pics were taken where we stopped for lunch during the poker run at the Kelowna convention. Oliver, I think?

Miles
Bruce Fenstermacher

Oh your right Miles that's me on the left with the same convention shirt as you. :lol: 8) :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

iowa

Post by iowa »

thanks for all the replys guys!
and i don't mean to hijack this forum for my L4!
i in the process of sorting everything out,
so detailed pictures with be forth coming.
am investigating to get more history on this plane.
i have found an A+P, AI who will do the inspecting,
am now trying to decide if I want to make the wood ribs.
I'll probably stay with the wood spars.
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
AME #17747
Bruce Fenstermacher

WOOD RIBS? You are talking about wing ribs right. Piper never made wood ribs. If you have wood wing ribs you don't have Piper wings.

BTW from the pictures even at distance they look to be metal ribs.

As for the wood spar why would you wnat to change it. Wood is natures composite material. If they are good and they probably are chances are they'll be good for another 50 years with care. My Cub as well as most Cubs have wood spars. Oh and if you wanted to change to metal you will need to buy all new ribs cause wood spar ribs don't fit metal spars.

Now if you where talking about wood stringers but you said ribs, I seem to remember there is somebody making an aluminum extrusion that replaces them that is thought to be the way to go.

Besides the FAA database available through OK City Clyde Smith can provide you with a report stating how your Cub was delivered. Wing, Engine and fuselage serial numbers as well as any options it might have had. He and Piper have the records. Piper isn't sharing, Clyde will.

I wouldn't worry about hijacking the forum because that will never happen. You've got a pretty long thread going here very nicely titled J-3 Cub so if 170 people don't want to read it they won't (but I bet they will)

As you have more specific questions you might want to take advantage of the PM feature or regular email. I am and I'm sure John and others will be happy to answer any and all questions you might have on the J-3/L-4

In fact I'd be disappointed if you didn't ask me.

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Don't be shy about sharing your experience here on the forum. I for one would like to hear about your progress, problems, and solutions. And, I'd just like to learn more about Cubs.

Also, my Hatz is a like a Cub with an extra set of wings, so some of what you talk about may actually apply to me. John already clued me in on the error on the Stabilizer Yoke drawing on the J-3 parts book. The Hatz is designed to have a trim tab, but I plan on installing a Cub trim system. Thanks John :D
Doug
iowa

Post by iowa »

my wife asked me if i'd rather be flying
then restoring this airplane.
i still have my c170
and told her that if i flew as many
hours in it as i'll probably put in on this L4
we'ed go broke paying for the gas!!
dave
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
AME #17747
Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a wrote:. The Hatz is designed to have a trim tab, but I plan on installing a Cub trim system. :D
Doug I don't know if I'd do that. The Cub trim system (jack screw) is considered a week link at least for aerobatics and is one of the first things removed when a Cub is built for serious aerobatics. Thought you might want to know that.