Harrison Ford

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dacker

Post by dacker »

I don't think anyone in this thread passed judgement... except George's original remark directed at the Navy...I'm still trying to come up with a good comeback! Most of us participate in this forum to have a little fun talking about our airplanes, general aviation, and any other topic we might find interesting. You can leave out the "I'm too cool to poke fun" remark and go back to your commune and get all the tattoos and body piercings you want, because ultimately you are right, no one cares. The thing about the subjects in these threads is, if you dfon't have an interest then you don't have to read through them all and take the time to respond in a negative and superior manner to the rest of us.
If you want to make fun of us Texicans then you can join us since we are pretty good at poking fun at ourselves, but beware that that we are wise to your coffee snorting, tofu slurping, dreadlock bound, Oregonite ways!
PEACE,
David
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

Not at all making fun of Mr. Ford. Mostly just personal opinions of these youngsters getting those massive tattooes that they will surely regret in later years. My son got a tattoo while at the naval academy, and today is flying Rhinos. The small tattoo on his left shoulder just cant be exposed while in uniform.
N3598C, C170B
170C

Harrison Ford

Post by 170C »

Some of you probably read the same article I did a year of two ago in either Flying, Sport Aviation or AOPA about a group of guys that get together once a year and go flyng out in the Idaho area, I think. Ford joined them and no one necessarily knows what the other guy does for a living, but of course most knew what he did. Person writing the article said he was a really down to earth guy. A now deceased friend of mine used to instruct for PIC (instrument training). He had the occasion several times to give the 3 day recurrent training to Tom Landry and he said Landry was salt-of-the earth folks. He also gave the 10 day training and a couple of years later did the recurrent training with the actor (naturally I can't call his name until after I send this), but he is married to Goldie Hawn. He stayed in their home both times and said they seemed as normal as most other couples even though they were multi millionaires. So I guess this is to say that even among celeb's there are some good ones. AND I don't understand the tatoo's either. Its none of my business, but I think it makes a lot of women look cheap. Maybe I am just joining the fraternity of old codgers who used to tell me that the world was going to hell in a handbasket :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Frank,
The actor you are referring to is Kurt Russell. And I'm with you on the tattoo thing. I'm just a middle aged codger, but don't know what's up with the younger crowd covering themselves with tattoos. My 21 year old son just got one on his wrist :roll: , and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
clayton991

well...

Post by clayton991 »

I have things that I object to, too. But I've had to plow through so many serious problems in my 53 years that I don't even notice whether someone has a tattoo, or and earring, etc....not that that wouldn't bother someone else, but I just don't care anymore. I like that the big movie star likes airplanes and uses simulator training...thats all good for us.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For God's sake, Frank! Don't be talkin' about cheap wimmen or BluElder will start wantin' to know where to find 'em! (He's tryin' to save money so he can come to Galveston!) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

dacker wrote: If you want to make fun of us Texicans then you can join us since we are pretty good at poking fun at ourselves, but beware that that we are wise to your coffee snorting, tofu slurping, dreadlock bound, Oregonite ways!
Mmmmm nothin like some good fried tofu or a Morningstar Farms soyburger. They even put the fake grill marks in them now. We're a big coffee town but I still only trust my own after this Olive Oyl looking guy downtown made me a terrible latte a while back. All the gas station attendants here act like their job is a terribly specialized skill. Damn I love Oregon!

I wish I was sharp enough to get the Navy joke, I thought you were insulting his manhood. He did blow up the forcefield generator bunker on Endor, afterall.
dacker

Post by dacker »

We have family in Eugene... that is one groovy place! :) I took up importing Toby's Tofu Spread here in Bryan so I could try to fit in better but my "Vote for Bush" t-shirt gave me away. :roll:

The last election we stayed a week on the Oregon coast in Manzanita with some acquaintences from the Seattle area and they brought some friends along. When we were introduced to them as being from Texas the first thing one of them said was (insert whiny voice here)... " so, I guess your voting for Bush!". Just like that, no nice to meet you, nice day or anything, just a launch into a political tirade. I'm surprised she didn't ask us about our religion and salary while she was at it. I guess that is what I get for wearing my stetson and cowboy boot on the beach. :)
David
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

"Going to hell in a handbasket" - when I say stuff like that, my girlfriend tells me nobody says that stuff anymore - along with, "six to one half dozen to the other, n-whatnot, trousers, rats, I'm in a pickle" and all the other stuff I've been saying since I was a kid - and I'm just 44.

I don't get it.... and I don't care I'm still gona say that stuff and no I don't have any tatoos. Besides my employers frown upon them

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone :!: :D
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Rats Kyle, what is all the whatnot about the place is going to hell in a hand basket. What a pickle. Six to one half dozen to the other if you call them trousers or pants unless your wearing dungarees. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Indopilot

texans

Post by Indopilot »

I'm still waiting for some good Texan jokes. Last thing I was told was if you find a pair of boots covered with a 10 gallon hat you should walk around them with respect. It might have been an important Texan before the air was let out. :P
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Rancher

A man owned a small ranch in Texas. The Texas Workforce Commission
claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an
investigator out to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded
the investigator.

"Well," replied the rancher, "There's my ranch hand who's been with me
for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook
has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 per week plus free room
and board.

Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does
about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week,
pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every
Saturday night."

"That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit," says the
investigator.

"That would be me," replied the rancher.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There was a bumper-sticker popular in Alaska during the Pipeline project which decried all the lower-48-ers who had rushed to AK.
It read:
"Happiness is an Okie going South...
...with a Texan under each Arm!"
canderson

Post by canderson »

In relation to another popular topic on how to keep/get youth interested in aviation, it is worth pointing out that Mr. Ford is the chairman of the EAA Young Eagles program which may be one of the better programs bridging aviation with the pilots of tomorrow.
Chris
1953 170B N3234A #25878
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

gahorn wrote:There was a bumper-sticker popular in Alaska during the Pipeline project which decried all the lower-48-ers who had rushed to AK.
It read:
"Happiness is an Okie going South...
...with a Texan under each Arm!"
I remember that one, I was there.

Joe