FAA Advisory SEB07-5

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

FAA Advisory SEB07-5

Post by 170C »

Anyone checked to see what this really means? Or is this a continuation of the prior cautions about Cessna seats not properly locking and the possible results.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Frank

I believe that is a Cessna advisory bulletin not from the FAA. And I have not received it yet.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Cessna Bulletin

Post by 170C »

Bruce, you are correct. It is an advisory from Cessna, not the FAA. thanks for the correction.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

It says that service kits are available for pilot and copilot secondary seat stops. Compliance is mandatory within 200 hrs of operation or 12 months (reference Cessna Mx manuals/continued airwortiness/43.13). It goes on to say that parts and labor credits are available under a Warranty Claim. I doubt that would apply to a Cessna 170 but I am going to call our local dealer and inquire. I wonder if it would be an AMOC for the AD?
mit

Post by mit »

voorheesh wrote: I wonder if it would be an AMOC for the AD?
No, but it could become mandatory if it was added to the AD.
Tim
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Our Cessna dealer here in Fresno just told me that this modification involves a seatbelt like device that attaches to the floor of the cabin at the front of the seat. It incorporates a belt and an inertial reel. The belt attaches to the seat. When you lock the seat in place, the inertial reel holds the seat in position (via the belt) and when you want to release the seat, there is a lever that frees the reel. Cessna will install this for no charge on the pilot seat. If you want to install it on the copilot seat the kit costs $185.00 and the labor is estimated between 1 and 5 hours depending on what model seat. It is not an AD and the dealer said that they do not believe it is "mandatory" for continued airworthiness despite the statement in the advisory. The dealer offered to order it for me right away and I am going to check it out.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I still think that if you put your beer between the pilot's seat and the back seat that safety issues will be addressed. Just make sure that if they are short boxes that they are placed longitudinal with fuselage so as to enable minimal seat travel should seat latch failure occur.

Joe
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

On our 170 seats the inertia reel attaches to the rear vertical structure of the seat, and the belt end attaches to the floor via a bolt. The release is attached to the front vertical structure of the seat, and then to the seat adjustment lever. As I mentioned in another post, credit is only given if installed at a Cessna Single Engine Service Center. Like this install is rocket science. I'll stick with the secondary stop I already have, plus the case of beer previously mentioned. Can't be too safe!
N3598C, C170B
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Here's a link to SEB07-05:
http://www1.matthews-net.org.uk:8081/Temp/SEB07-5.pdf

See page 15 for an illustration of how the belt is attached.
Gary
michanicos

Post by michanicos »

Dear Friends:
I have already done on my 172N , SEB89-2 that address for pilot seat secondary stop. Do I have to remove it and comply with SEB07-5?
Please for some help, because CESSNA Co. has confuse me.
Thanks from Greece.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Michanicos

Reading SEB07-5 it says that it supersedes SEB89-2 which means that if you are required to comply with service bulletins then you must comply with SEB07-5 regardless what you have done in the past.

Here in the U.S. flying under FAR 91 and not for hire we are not required to comply with service bulletins though it may be a good idea to do so. This may not be the case in other countries like Greece. You will have to check with your local authority.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I see one serious issue that has not been adressed and that I am very concerned with. There was no mentioned if the case of beer should be cans or bottles, and if bottles would wine work? (for our Female Pilots).
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

mrpibb wrote:I see one serious issue that has not been adressed and that I am very concerned with. There was no mentioned if the case of beer should be cans or bottles, and if bottles would wine work? (for our Female Pilots).
If gross weight is a concern, cans can reduce the overall weight making the flight much safer. Wine bottles will work however.

Joe
Dward

Post by Dward »

My weight would be really "gross" if I drank all that beer. :D
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher