mag compass

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kog

mag compass

Post by kog »

during annual, while swinging the compass; we found the mag compass to be severely affected by the yoke position. My compass is in the panel. Has anyone installed a compass on a one piece windshield? How about demagnetizing the yoke?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

kog,

I still have the windshield with a center strip, but my mag compass is a surface mount type on the glareshield. Any of the aircraft supply houses like Spruce or Chief should carry them.

Demagnetizing the yoke would probably work also, but I would guess it would have to be removed to do a proper job.

Miles
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not just the yoke, but the "T" and the chains may be culprits, as well as the bolts that hold the U-joints. Vibration can magnetize steel parts. Fifty years of vibration can be significant.
Swing your compass with the yoke at the nuetral position, where it spends the majority of it's time in-flight.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

LP plastics offer a compass mounting block option that is bonded on the windshield with their strapless windshield STC. Might check with the manufacture of your STC window and see if it could be added on.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL