Calif help

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

TimSullivan

Calif help

Post by TimSullivan »

I am considering buying a 170. I have zero taildragger time and the plane I'm considering is almost flyable. I'm looking for someone in calif to speak with about the 170 and get checked out by a real 170 pilot. It seems that most of the people on this site are from the midwest. Anyone know of a good 170 pilot in So Calif.

Thanks. This site is great
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

1. Join the 170 Club.
2. Open up the list of members by state
3. Pick somebody near you.

Easy?
BL
flyguy

SOMEONE TO CHAT WITH

Post by flyguy »

Joining the club is not a bad idea but if you e-mail me I will give you a couple of names in the central Cal area. Our past president lives in Tehachapi and another fellow who was moderator of a C170 site that paralelled the old Yahoo site lives in Paradise, CA.

Look in my "Profile for my e-mail address. Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, our past pres. is a good 170 pilot and is in Ca., and in fact is hosting our next (2004) convention. You think it's hard to find a good 170 pilot in Ca? You should try Many, La near Toledo Bend! :lol:
zero.one.victor

Re: SOMEONE TO CHAT WITH

Post by zero.one.victor »

flyguy wrote:............. and another fellow who was moderator of a C170 site that paralelled the old Yahoo site lives in Paradise, CA.

Look in my "Profile for my e-mail address. Gary
Gary,who was that,& what site? I remember that gal Susan was working on a site for 170 photo's,other than that I'm drawing a blank. Oops,I kinda remember something,I seem to recall that everybody was double-posting things on 2 sites so the non-yahoo site faded out. That must be the one.
Speaking of which,what happened to Susan--seems like she didn't make the jump to this Association site?
Tim,regarding Calif 170 pilots,I counted members listed in the Assn directory & I seem to recall that Calif was about number 3,Alaska & Texas being 1 & 2 (or 2 & 1). With all them members,there's gotta be somebody near you who fits the bill. One of you Californicators,speak up!
There was a guy named Bob who was on the yahoo site,I think he actually flew a 172 TD possibly Lycoming-powered,I seem to recall that he was based at El Monte in So Cal. He talked about flying into the Kennedy Meadows area of the eastern Sierra's,northeast of Lake Isabella, sounded like he was pretty experienced.Maybe he didn't survive the jump either.

Eric
zero.one.victor

Tim,on the Association homepage,there's a button for links. One of the links is a site named 170's and their owners,or something like that.
http://www.c170pics.org
On that site is a big page which lists some 170 owners,their location,and a pic of their airplane. you can click your way to it thru that site's homepage,or here is the address of the pics list.
http://susang777.home.mindspring.com/c1 ... nsort.html
(whew!)
It may be that you have to go thru the home page,as I think this may be a members-only page. I don't remember if it's coupled to membership on this site,or has it's own membership.
Anyway,I just looked thru the list,quite a few calif 170'ers. The guy I mentioned before is on there,tail number N6D I think. The owners' whose names are underlined have a link to their email address,I assume that means they don't mind being contacted.
If anyone here hasn't checked it out,do so. You might want to post a pic of your 170--I saw quite a few names I recognized from here,and a lot of pretty airplanes. Don't worry if yours isn't a show winner,even mine looked good on there!

Eric
zero.one.victor

If you just use
susang777.home.mindspring.com/c170pics/
you can choose to see list sorted by tail number,serial number,state,owner's name,etc.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Susan has been in contact with me. She's been busy with her other website businesses. Her husband is nearly finished with his Private, but she's diverted away from her own license pursuit for awhile until things settle down for her.
flyguy

THE "OTHER" SITE

Post by flyguy »

Eric, The member was ther moderator of the first Yahoo site then he took it to another or different level. Some were less than enchanted with the change over and wanted to continue with Yahoo. His new site bbs was similar to what we now are doing but didn't get off the ground. He had a good idea but Yahoo seemed more attractive to most users and we continued on with a new moderator (well there was a split in that site too and we got George!) and everything was OK until they started spamming us.

I have visited with Susan several times since the change from Yahoo, and as George said she is very busy with other things. The "170 pics" site is still active. She is one of the several who dropped out when we changed to this present format that does not e-mail each post to each user upon request. Most of us didn't use that feature, or even know about it, and so we were not as happy, because of the spamming, as the ones who got e-mails without the spam.

I don't have any ideas on how to accommodate those of our former group that don't have an hour or two to browse the forums (unless they would ask a member (or moderator 8O ) who has so little to do that he or she would glean posts (that were useful! :P ) and e-mail them to a list of users who requested and signed up for that feature, for a small fee.

Eric I liked the picture of your plane but who was that "short" fellow standing beside it?
zero.one.victor

I apologize to all you Californites out there--just for fun I counted members in the 2001 directory, Cal leads the pack at 143! Texas is number two at 113,then Alaska at 103. My own state of Washington is number 4 or 5 with 70 members.

Eric