engine noise....????

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Sorry, no progress yet. Just getting the new radio installation completed and then it's off to the "other" shop to have the NOISE listened to, new generator gasket/seals and new weight and balance. Same here though, no one is majorly concerned.............

8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I had someone else listen to the plane the other day. We pulled the prop thru and they did notice my phase coupler was pretty loud, thought this maybe the sound when the engine was running. We started it up and he also thought that it may be a valve or two that has too much slop in it. As soon as teh weather clears up and I get some time I am going to take it to the shop to have the mechs. look into the valve adjustments..........I sure hope this works.......The engine runs great, it just doesnt seem right to have a knocking sound comming from a fresh engine........
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

I had a mech come out an listen to the noise. We pulled the cowl off and started up the plane. The Mech. used a stethascope lookin thing and listend to all of the cyl. He noticed that the #5 was making alot of knocking noise. We pulled off the valve cover and noticed the rocker arm on the intake valve had alot of play where the others were tight. We took off the rockers on that cyl. and then pulled and pushed on the push tubes......when we did this we noticed that the push tube on the exhaust would slide in and out without making any noise. When we pushed and pulled on the tube on the intake side it just bottomed out and made a distictive ping sound....just like the one when the engine was running.....whe then pulled out the hyd. lifter and discovered that it was not working properly......it was not holding pressure...something must be wrong with the little ball valve in the lifter that would not allow it to pump up.......I am having a new lifter overnighted to me....should be here tomorrow.....ill let you know if this fixes my knocking sound........so far it seems to be a faulty hyd lifter that was not pumping up.....and the knocking sound was the push tube banging on the top of the lifter....like I said it was the exact same noise we heard when the engine was running......
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Sounds like good news for you! I hope it solves the noise.

My radios are in and 39A's at the shop now. New weight and balance complete (old one was incorrect!), new garlock seal on the generator...oh, and new/reman generator (old one had badly worn brushes and bearings with a lot of play and noise), and a new intake pushrod on the #5 cylinder!! My mech found a good hyd lifter but the intake rod had excessive play and he found that it was the wrong length....weird! Just one? Apparently sooooo. Anyway, once the gen goes back in on monday, we'll run it up and see if the noise is eliminated (got my fingers crossed)

Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Chris 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Tailpilot,

OK! You win. I'm throwing in the towel. I've been working on airplanes since 1941 when I went to work for Lockheed, but you finally got me.

What in hell is a "phase coupler", and what kind of a noise do they make?
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

My guess is it's the Star Trek version of an impulse coupling.
Gary
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Well, did you get the new hyd lifter installed?

Chris
Fly Navy !!!!

1952 Cessna 170B
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

blueldr wrote:Tailpilot,

OK! You win. I'm throwing in the towel. I've been working on airplanes since 1941 when I went to work for Lockheed, but you finally got me.

What in hell is a "phase coupler", and what kind of a noise do they make?
Thanks for asking I just couldn't bring my self to ask. Then! Language changes over time and I am sure the Star Trek response is right on the mark. I think the noise depends on how strong the tractor beam is pulling on your ship.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

ok ok......... :lol: :lol: Your right impulse coupler.. :oops: Someone else called it that and it stuck in my head......
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Chris,
I did get the new Hyd lifter installed........not much change.......the soud is very slightly quiter :evil: He went and collapsed both lifters on the #5 and checked the slop......it was about 90 I guess the limit is 30-110 it is within limits but I went ahead and ordered two 30 over push rods to see if that will quiet things........so far no luck.........It is starting to drive me crazy now......the lifter was bad and we hoped that was going to fix to problem.....but no :evil:
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

tailpilot wrote:... He went and collapsed both lifters on the #5 and checked the slop......it was about 90 ...
Did he collapse the lifters with the cylinder on the engine? If so how?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

No. We pulled the Cyl. back just enough to get to the lifters. We then used a small piece of safety wire to grab the lifter an pull it out.
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
kloz

Post by kloz »

It will take the lifters a while to build back up. Give them some time.
Carl
tailpilot

Post by tailpilot »

about how long........I was out of town...but my dad went out there for me...they ran the engine up twice once at idle and the next time from idle to 1500 rpm.....a total run of about 5 minutes each........I was wondering if I just need to take it up flying for about 30 min to 1 hour and see what happens.........Ill prob. just waite till I get the new push rods in and then try that........I sure hopes this fixes this knocking noise.....We are sure it is comming from the #5 Cyl. the engine only has about 50 hours since major.....with new millineum cyls.
Sean
N1745D 1951 170A
kloz

Post by kloz »

IIRC the overhaul manual says a flight of about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Carl