Auto gas re no more 80

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Thomas Arsenault

Auto gas re no more 80

Post by Thomas Arsenault »

For all the time I have owned 63V I have used 80 octane avgas. It has been available at many airports arround Minneapolis. Now they can not get 80 any more. Most are now switching to autogas without alcohol. I have checked with my engine guy and he said it is ok to use auto gas.

Question
During the winter months, when I fly less, can I add Sta-Bil to the gas to preserve it? I add this to all my engines for winter storage and it works great.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hi, Tom! Being an Avgas proponent, I actually use 100LL in my mowers, emergency generators, boats, etc., when long-term storage is upcoming. Avgas has a long shelf life. Autogas doesn't. (And AvGas won't swell your carb gaskets, etc. like autogas will over the long exposure of a storage period.) Even if you are an Autogas promoter, none of the STC's allow Stabil or other preservatives.
100LL is not the big problem with lead everyone thinks it is. I've used it for years and never had a single plug foul from it. TCM says the engine does fine on it, and despite TCP's claims, their product is NOT Continental approved. (It is FAA approved.) After I read Alcor's literature, I asked them to provide documentation regarding the claimed TCM approval. They can't do it. TCM specifically denies it being required, or even helpful generally, and said it is not harmful, but it is also not approved by them either.
100LL does NOT contain 4 times the lead of 80. It's specifications allow up to that amount, but it rarely has that much. Even so, the 2 grams allowed is within spec for C145/O-300 engines.
But, it's back to the old Ford/Chevy argument. If you're going to use autogas, then for darn sure make certain it's FRESH. I'd forget about Stabil, and long-term storage. My 2 cents.
Thomas Arsenault

Post by Thomas Arsenault »

Thanks George. Maybe I should use Auto gas in the summer and 100 LL in the winter?

Tom Arsenault

P.S.
I miss the mail from the group but understand.
N7155A

Post by N7155A »

Tom,

I make a point of flying at least one tank full each month - you know, just to keep the gas fresh. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it.

If I think the plane is going to sit for a while, I'll put avgas in it for storage (make sure you run it with the avgas to get it in the carb.) The local motorcycle shop keeps a little avgas in the bikes in his showroom. Otherwise he was always cleaning carbs.

Mitch Williams
'57 C172
flyguy

XX

Post by flyguy »

XX
Last edited by flyguy on Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
N1478D

Re: ADDING TO AN OLD THREAD

Post by N1478D »

flyguy wrote:JOE AND KEN.

THERE ARE ALREADY FOUR OR FIVE TOPIC PAGESS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings but just to suggest a little search to find a topic then add comments or questions to that topic. It then re-opens a discussion without lengthening an already long list to search through.
Flyguy, no hurt feelings! See the response in the appropiate location "Search routines and FAQ's".
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX