Seat Parts Needed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Seat Parts Needed

Post by Kyle »

Hello Everyone,

Looking to replace some well worn seat parts:

Seat Handle - P/N 051301-120
Attachment Elbow - P/N 0511184 Alternate # 0711861-1 (obtained from perfered airparts & KRN)

KRN in Arizona seemed to be the only supplier I could find that had one at 95.00 per for just the handles,- yikes :!:

Does anyone have these parts that is willing to part with them??? Please let me know and the price. Other option I have is to make them...

Thanks - Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For $75 I will sell you complete seat frames/hardware (no upholstry or cushions.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:For $75 I will sell you complete seat frames/hardware (no upholstry or cushions.)
George,

I've been wanting to start a re-upholster job cushions and all, but haven't wanted to take the plane out of service to do it. If Kyle doesn't take your seat, or you have more than one, I'll take it. When I'm done, I'll make the same offer to anyone who needs my leftover.

BTW, how do the cushions attach to the frame?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Miles...let me look, I think I have an old seat you could use.....just pay for shipping both ways...... I'll look tomorrow. (I need it back to go into a project.....if I live so long)
brad
cessna170bdriver

bradbrady wrote:Miles...let me look, I think I have an old seat you could use.....just pay for shipping both ways...... I'll look tomorrow. (I need it back to go into a project.....if I live so long)
brad
Thanks Brad! That might work better. Let me know if you find a seat that's usable as is, so I can end up with my original seats.

Miles

PS: My seats are in bad enough shape that my AI hesitated to return the airplane to service after the annual last year. I don't think he'll let me get away with it this year. Each time I fly, I find foam dust and chunks under the seat. :oops:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Haydon

Post by Haydon »

Howdy Miles.......I just couldn't resist ....."foam dust"..... My seats have no foam in them.....I believe they are original (the inside part)......This probably accounts for my poor sense of humor....and total relief when refueling.....I just gotta get me some of that foam.... :lol:

Richard.....
Richard Haydon
'49 170A
Ducote Airpark TS65
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Miles;

Depending on the condition of the fabric, you might be able to get these done while the plane is down for annual. Last year I had the same problem with the yellow foam dust. We found an automotive upholstery guy that redid mine. He saved the fabric part and replaced the foam with FAA approved materials. They turned out great and I still have the original seat fabric that matched the rest of the plane. Took him 2 days if I remember correctly.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Hi Miles,

I have a co-pilot seat you could borrow if you need one of those also. My pilot seat is on loan to another guy, it has the same crusty foam issues as yours. So far it has only taken him a year to get his new seats done. :?
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Both pilot and copilot seat if they are original, are the same.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:... Each time I fly, I find foam dust and chunks under the seat. :oops:
The Minister was finishing the congregational-prayer from the pulpit, and with eye's closed and hands uplifted concluded, "...for without You, Lord,...we are but dust."

At that moment of silence came a wee-small voice from the congregation, "Mommy.... What is butt-dust?"
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:... Each time I fly, I find foam dust and chunks under the seat. :oops:
The Minister was finishing the congregational-prayer from the pulpit, and with eye's closed and hands uplifted concluded, "...for without You, Lord,...we are but dust."

At that moment of silence came a wee-small voice from the congregation, "Mommy.... What is butt-dust?"
:lol: :lol:
It's probably no coincidence that the first time I noticed the "dust" was right after #5 exhaust valve let go and ventilated the piston at 7500' in the middle of the Mojave Desert on the way to Dearborn. 8O http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2620

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Thanks Bruce,

Its been a while since I looked at them. I was thinking the bottoms were the same but the backs had a slight difference in radius .
Didn't mean to HORN in on your high finance transaction George.
Butt dust that is the cloud that follows some older folks and others around. I heard that an elderly gal was waiting for a spell to see the Doc. When she finally got in she confided that she was there to see him about all the terrible silent gas attacks she had been having. In fact she had had some while in the waiting room. The Doc.s response was the very FIRST thing they would do for her was fit a set of hearing aids. 8O
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
cessna170bdriver

Paul-WI wrote:Miles;

Depending on the condition of the fabric, you might be able to get these done while the plane is down for annual. Last year I had the same problem with the yellow foam dust. We found an automotive upholstery guy that redid mine. He saved the fabric part and replaced the foam with FAA approved materials. They turned out great and I still have the original seat fabric that matched the rest of the plane. Took him 2 days if I remember correctly.

Paul
My fabric is shot also, not at all worth trying to save. I would prefer a seat I could borrow for 5 or 6 months. I want to experiment with some of the high-tech foams ( http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4638 ) and I tend to work slowly. :wink:

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Yes the seats are interchangeable, and I have swapped mine as the left seat seems to show more wear - as will yours if your plane has been flown solo most of its hours.

I have Airtex seat covers that are in nice condition but would like to remove them and install new foam padding to improve the lumbar supports. Would one of you doing the seat work be kind enough to post some pictures of your naked seats and the installation of the foam prior to re-covering? thanks.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Five- six months wouldn't be a problem. Unless I get a move on, at my current rate of bumping other projects in front of the 170, 5-6 years might not be a problem either. :oops: :oops:
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162