170 on skis

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

funseventy

Post by funseventy »

In response to the idea of going to a PA-11 when the 170 was too much to manage. I laugh when people talk like that. I had friends in Alaska That were looking for a new plane and wanted to run skis. They'd pick a 180 hp 170 over a 180(of the same price) because they thought the 180 was too much to man handle on skis. They never even thought about how many times my 105 lb wife would fly the 180 on skis out to the same place as them and park right next to their Supercubs. The Idea is to iliminate any manhandling, except for us in the lower 48 wanting to put it in the hangar at night. Otherwise set yourself up a taxi in/taxi out tie down, cover it up and plug it in. My wife was flying DC-3's in Alaska and I never heard her mention how hard it was to man-handle it, HA, HA!!!

Its all for fun!!! Kelly
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The DC-3.....now THAT'S an airplane! If I ever get into twins that's what I'm gonna hold out for! Beech 18 would be a close second.

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

One time I saw two ads in the same Trade-a-Plane that almost got me going. First was an oshkosh award winner Bamboo Bomber fo 60K and then I found a set of Edo 6470 floats rigged for same for a price of under 10K. Wow, Now we're talking!!!

Kelly
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

I have a 48 170 on 2500 skis also. (Not this year) Never used tail ski.. like the braking action of the wheel in snow. Carried 4 adults w/ full fuel to Hayward WI last winter. took a downhill run and almost 2000 feet just to get off the ground..then she flew just like any other day. I bought a set of those wheel dollys...love them! I will post pics if I can find out how to do it. Put plastic bottoms on your skis...less stick in wet snow and less likely to freeze down. Carry orange cap or pine bows to drop onto your intended landing area in flat light overcast conditions...allows you to determine where the earths surface begins. When landing on lakes, beware of pressure heaves and cracks. Water will begin coming up around edges of most all lakes later in the winter. When landing on icewith unknown conditions, set down, keep power on and make fast taxi circle...taxi next to your tracks, if they are grey., you have water under the snow...keep going until you find a spot where the snow is still white in your tracks. Carry lots of soft fleece rags to defrost windows (tell your pax to stop breathing so much!!) John
garyl

Post by garyl »

Good day ski fliers. I have had my wheel skis on (federal 3000's) for the past 6 weeks or so and have done a bit of flying with them. Unfortunately (same for you Hal), the temp has been so cold I haven't been flying since Xmas. I have found that it takes a bit longer to get off and for landing, I set up just like on floats. This has worked great for me. I like the idea of carrying an orange cone or two around to drop on your landing zone. My first ski landing was comparable to a glassy water one, no depth perception once you got low. Hal if you want I can send you photos of rigging on mine. Are you landing on Back Bay? Are you putting on straight skis or wheel skis. We should plan (along with the folks in Fort Smith with the 170 a mini 170 fly in). I think I seen that one the other day going through there on the jet.
Gary, Hay River, NWT
km74

Post by km74 »

Gary, if you are having a mini fly in I would be interested in flying in from McMurray if I am on days off. If you guys end up doing it please post it here.

Ken
hbcroft

Post by hbcroft »

Gary

There is no Cessna 170 owner in Fort Smith yet although I am looking at replacing my Citabria eventually and the 170B is right up there on my list. I even looked at the one you bought as a matter of fact!!!

I plan on flying with Hal sometime this coming summer to get a feeling of a 170 performance with the stock engine on floats.

Like you I am waiting for warmer weather to fly around on skis. Will drop by in Hay River at some point I am sure.

Ken

Do you fly yours on floats as well? with the o-300?

Bruno

Fort Smith, NT
C-GDDG
Busdriver

Post by Busdriver »

I'm a 170 owner wannabe as well as one who has always thought flying an airplane on skis would be a blast. Needless to say, I've enjoyed this thread!
km74

Post by km74 »

No I don't have floats or even a float kit. But I am looking for a set of wheel penetrating skis. Hopefully I will find some for next winter. There is no snow here now, it all melted in early January and you can land on all the lakes around here on wheels.

Ken
n3439d

Post by n3439d »

I have my 170b on federal 3000 wheel skis and plan on doing some flight training with a student soon. I would like to know if spins can be safely, and if there are any unusual handling with the skis and spins.

thanks ken
Trapper

Unusual atitudes in 170 with skis on

Post by Trapper »

Ken,
If I where you I would stay away from intentional spins with skis on.
I have flown a 170 with skis and a 0 300 engine for some time and have
never come close to a spin( hope I never do)
I can see there is a wealth of information here on this subject which I find very interesting.
I do most of the things mentioned like, have a rope fastened to the tail spring at all time, try to get back to your tracks before shuting down,
park on branches over night, try and plan to turn left where possible.
I usually pry my skis up and rub the frost off before attempting to takeoff.
One time when landing on a short strip with very deep snow (5 ft of powder becide my packed runway) and a very strong cross wind, I was weathercocked to the left and into that deep snow. Took me 2 hours
to dig myself out and back onto the packed snow. Since then I always keep lots of power on until I get to where I am parking.
I never land out in the center of a lake. I use the shore line for a reference, and if I want to get out into the center of the lake I just taxi
there. I never run without a tail ski in deep powder snow, and always carry snow shoes and a shovel. If I have a chance I will use a snowmobile and that long rope to help turn the plane around and pack the runway.
I am running with Airglass 2500 strait skis and would never concider using wheel pentration skis as they increase your takeoff distance conciderable (as well as the extra weight of two wheels), unless on bare ice or pavement.
Hydrolic wheel skis increase your weight to such a point that you can hardly carry your survival gear when using a C-145 or 0-300 engine.
Remember in winter a normal 190 lb man will weigh close to 220 lbs when he is dressed for winter survival.
The above is all strickly in my oppinion.
Good Flying
Trapper
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Now remember to get certified with skis they had to fly the airplane through all regimes. If it had bad characteristics it would be placarded, "No intentional spins with skis installed". I have Spun my 180 and 170 on skis and their were no problems. With your 170 having wheel-skis on it, I would assume the CG is well forward and it might be hard to get it to spin. It will probably break at first and then settle into a nice spiral. In a spiral it will pick up airspeed unlike the spin so you might need to abort earlier and recover so you don't overspeed the airframe. As for Trappers reply, I don't think he'd spin it on wheels either. Have fun and be safe. Altitude is the best instructor.

Kelly
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Do they spin 170's with floats on :?:
logsdon

Post by logsdon »

All you guys who are interested in flying up north, check out my post in the events/fly-in section on the Midnight Sun Floatplane Flyin. There seem to be a few of you who would be interested in coming up as a group. There are quite a few 170's in Idaho, Montana and Alberta. Citabrias are welcome too Bruno! If you're interested why not post a reply on events/flyins and see what evolves.

http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/1058.jpg
Hal Logsdon
C-FHJD
1954 170-B
logsdon

Post by logsdon »

flyer170 wrote:Do they spin 170's with floats on :?:
PROHIBITED
Hal Logsdon
C-FHJD
1954 170-B