I give up... control wheels

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iceman07

I give up... control wheels

Post by Iceman07 »

I have searched this forum, googled till the cows come home, and the only thing I can find is:

http://www.avion.com/Products/AvionCont ... trlWh.html

I don't like my current control wheels, but come on... almost a thousand bucks?

Anyone have any other suggestions? (Like going back to the vintage wheels?)

Thanks
Rich

(OBTW - 5740C is finally back in the air. So far, I've got about 3.5 hours on the Penn Yan MHO. So far, so good)
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
Kyle Wolfe

Re: I give up... contol wheels

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

How about having your current ones re-done?

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=3045
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:How about having your current ones re-done?

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=3045
The ones I have now are some funky-arsed ones. Not even close to original. My guess is they are "home-builder" yokes. I'd love to go back to originals, are they even available?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
N171TD

Post by N171TD »

I refinished my yokes and shafts a few months ago. Stripped the paint on the yokes and had them powder coated, had the shafts rechromed. Total cost about $100. Have an extra set if you care to PM me.
Our 172/170 or a 171 is known as tweener
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I am also not a fan of the originl C-170B control wheels, and have long ago installed a pair of later model C-172 "Rams Horn" type wheels which I really like.
I still have the original wheels some place around the hangar and, if anyone is looking for originality I'd be delighted to trade them for a different pair.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

So... what'd you REALLY prefer to have in the cockpit, BluElder?

Image :?: :?: :?:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Rich,

Control wheels, whether original 170 or any other type, can generally be found in salvage yards, e-auctions, or from some association members who are willing to sell. They are certainly available. As for refinishing, as other have mentioned stripping and repainting them, along with rechroming the shafts, is a very workable solution for not much money.
Doug
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

Don't have originals but had my ram horns painted 10 yrs ago & they still look brand new. Also replaced the very rusty shafts with thick wall stainless & buffed them up real nice ,they still look like the day I put them in & yhey will never rust again.
Do unto others............
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Seriously. Where can I get my yokes shafts rechromed.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Any place that does chrome work can chrome them they just have to have the capability to bake them @ 350 deg for 3-4 hours to remove excess hydrogen (re: hydrogen embrittlement) which is a by product of the chroming process. I had mine done at a relatively local chrome shop that specializes in antique car/boat restoration. They have done aircraft work as well and knew about the need to bake them and could do so.
Doug
amacbean

Post by amacbean »

I also need some control wheels. I have uncertified yokes on now that need to be replaced. I'm not a huge fan of the original ones, but if anyone has some for sale I might be interested. What is everyone else using - that's legal? I'm in a bit of a hurry, so thanks in advance!
barry miller

Post by barry miller »

Here is what I have done. Instead of spending $250 per wheel for the original style rose coating. I believe the company was in Oklahoma (advertised in Trade a Plane). I simply cleaned them up removing all the old stuff and painted with epoxy. While I was at it, I drilled the center of the mount with 1/4 inch hole and inserted a micro switch for my push to talk. It makes a great arm chair control and one handed operation on the original yokes and puts the wiring out of sight and under the panel.
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If anyone really wants a set of original control wheels, I have a set up in my hangar and would be delighted to sell them.

Call me at (916) 635-5566 7 to 10 AM or 6 t0 10 PM Pacific Time.

Dick Lemmon
BL
amacbean

Post by amacbean »

I might take you up on that - we're trying to field approve the currant ones on the airplane. My guess is it won't work and I'll need to replace them.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Do not drill or otherwise modify your original yokes unless you are willing to risk their condemnation by an FAA type. Such mods require a basis of approval as do replacement yokes of any pedigree.

I guess it's a personal thing, but I don't understand why folks don't like the original yokes if they like the original tails. It's a period-style thing. I'd never like a 1930 Cord roadster with a 1959 Chevy steering wheel.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)