Delco Remy Generator

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

15A

Delco Remy Generator

Post by 15A »

My old 20 amp generator (1101890) decided to quit. I don't want to convert to an alternator. I just want to pull off the old generator and replace it with a rebuilt. Had an IA test it, and there's nothing coming out! Brushes looked good, but that's as far as I'm going.
Does anyone know of a shop in the north east that would swap this out for me? Or maybe someone has upgraded to an alternator and has a good generator for sale??? Either way, I want this plane back in the air! Any advice?
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
GAHorn

Re: Delco Remy Generator

Post by GAHorn »

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. If nothing is mechanically wrong with your generator, then re-polarize it or troubleshoot the defective system, in accordance with the Electric Service Manual available from headquarters.

Simple test: disconnect the Field terminal from the generator and put a jumper wire on that terminal to ground. Start the engine, run it up to 1800 rpm and see if the gen put's out voltage. If so,...the gen is NOT the problem... the problem is the regulator or the aircraft wiring circuits.
If you already have the gen removed... Then ground the field to the gen case, and clip a good battery ground (use a common auto jumper cable set) to the gen case, and clip the battery positive to the ARMature terminal of the gen (it's the BiG terminal) and ... hang on!.... because a good gen will become an electric motor and SPIN HAPPILY AWAY. (Don't let it jump out of your hands. Do this test On the FLoor!)

Otherwise...if you are determined to simply replace the generator despite the fact you've not proven the generator defective, ... then contact:
http://www.aerotechlou.com/ 800-634-0190

The best testing is described in the official TIC170A Electric System SErvice Manual available form headquarters@cessna170.org , but... Additional tests are described at:
http://www.aerotechlou.com/ts_alternators.shtml
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

OLE GAR writes funny and George Stutters - Must be something in the water down there !!! :D
15A

Post by 15A »

Thanks George,

I didn't want to put the time in, but took your advice and benched the generator. Hooked it to the battery like you said, and it spun like a motor.
My ampmeter used to dance from +5 to +20 in flight and then would stop straight up at zero. When the needle danced, my radio had static. I flew last Sat nite with all the lites on and gradually lost battery power. (radio flickered out!)
Haven't done anything to the electrical system that would make me trace it. No blown fuses ever. The brushes on the generator have worn down strange. Looks like 1/8 of an inch is hanging off the end of the armature. (has the shape of New Mexico!)
I believe my best bet is to replace the generator and voltage regulator.
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
15A

Post by 15A »

Quick up-date:

Bit-the-bullet.
Ordered a 35amp generator with a matching solid state voltage regulator.

I know for just a little more I could convert to an alternator.
I also know that for a little more I could upgrade my 12' row boat with a 6 hp Johnson to a 19' inboard, or a 24' cuddy-cab, or a 32' sport fishing boat, or a ...

But I really like my little 12 footer!!!!!
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
15A

Post by 15A »

Love it when things go right!

Received my 35 amp generator and solid state voltage regulator from AeroTech of Louisville. My mechanic installed them, made the log book entries, and it's a done deal! Works GREAT :lol: My amp needle seams to never cross to the negative side. PLUS, the occasional static I would pick up on my radio is GONE. :!:

Mike at AeroTech set me up. Good guy to work with.
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
170C

Post by 170C »

Joe, doesn't it feel good when you resolve a problem and everything works like it is supposed to? :D :D :D :D Sometimes we just get plain (plane) lucky :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
15A

Post by 15A »

Yeah, it's a good feeling. Even better for my co-pilot/wife when I see that she doesn't have white knuckles anymore just because the LCD digits on my radio start dancing around! 8O
All is well at the moment. It even got an oil change with only a few hours on it from the last change. I should have picked the tail up before I pulled the generator :oops:
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe, If you upgraded from a 20A gen to a 35A gen, I hope you also insured that the wire from the gen ARMature terminal to the regulator ARMature terminal.... and the wire from the regulator BATtery terminals to the main buss were also all 8ga wire or larger, and your fuse/c.b. were upgraded to 35-40A also.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
15A

Post by 15A »

That was one of my first concerns when I decided to go for the 35 amp.
All was checked and is OK. Seems the plane at one time was down graded from the 35 to a 20!
That could explain some of the issues I had with my VR.
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Thanks all, I will be replacing all the wires, making sure they are 8Gauge as well as checking the fuse. Lets hope this works.