Insurance question

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3437d

Insurance question

Post by n3437d »

After 6 years I made a decision to cancel my insurance with Avemco. While I have never filed a claim (and I hope I never have to) they have been good to me. I think :wink: What prompted me were two factors each year for 6 year the policy increased, not a lot but non the less an increase and this was after taking CFI re-certifications. The plane is now paid off. My latest bill showed a $200 increase. Again no big shakes except my annual premium is now $1,500. Hull Value $50k, 1 million combined limit, subject to $100k per passenger. Medical Payments $3k each peson $200 deductable.

I recieved a quote form Travers today - same coverage as above except hull value $36,250. If I want $55,000 on hull I have to submit quote from buyer or an apprisal.

I have two questions: 1. Can anyone give a + or - comment on Travers?

2. Are all the internal "goodies" considered part of the hull? I know this last question might seem a bit lame but indulge me please.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joel
N3437D
Carson City, NV
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
HA

Post by HA »

hi Joel, I use Travers and have been happy with them

I had a claim about 10 yrs ago for some wind damage, no fight over it and the rates didn't rise afterwards

my rates have been steady for several years, very minor increases if at all
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I've been with Travers a couple of years with coverage similar to what you got your quote for, other than my hull is $45K. The premiums have hovered around $1,000. I have roughly 2000 hrs total time, 1500 in type, about 1750 total conventional gear. Only a private license w/ instrument rating, no commercial or CFI.

If by "internal goodies" you mean avionics, etc, yes they are included in the hull value. If they pay you off for a total loss, it all goes to them. Just make sure you can replace the airplane and everything that is (or should be) on the equipment list for the insured value. In my case it would be a close call, but $45K is the most they would insure for without an appraisal.

Miles
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

You might give Falcon Insurance Company a call. I pay $2,200 per year with hull, but it is also a commercial policy with 1 mil liability since I use my 170 for business. I have about 1500 hrs. in type. A personal use policy would be considerably cheaper.

Joe
4518C
bodine

Post by bodine »

Hello. Iam with AUA inc they do all vintage airplanes and are real easy to deal with. I have been with them for three years now. Iam private pilot no inst. with 550 tt and about 250 in type i pay 1345.00 per year for hull at 50,000.00. You have to join the eaa / vintage assn. * but the fee is worth it for me. Plus AUA gives me a cool new tee shirt and hat every year.. If you need anymore info e-mail me.
MeeksDigital

Post by MeeksDigital »

bodine wrote:Hello. Iam with AUA inc they do all vintage airplanes and are real easy to deal with. I have been with them for three years now. Iam private pilot no inst. with 550 tt and about 250 in type i pay 1345.00 per year for hull at 50,000.00. You have to join the eaa / vintage assn. * but the fee is worth it for me. Plus AUA gives me a cool new tee shirt and hat every year.. If you need anymore info e-mail me.
+1 on AUA - my dad and I have been with them since '98 when he got his Interstate Cadet, and we recently insured N5LP with them for about $1200 a year ($40,000 hull insurance)

They're a great company, and their service rocks (although I've never made a claim - but they're great to talk to if you ever have any questions!)
-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I have AUA....I never got a tee shirt :cry:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
bodine

tee

Post by bodine »

Yeah you have to ask for one about this time of year they take them to sun n fun and give them away. They make a new one everyear. I have been luckey and made it down to the show the last couple of years but not this year so we will see if i get my newone sent to me......
Kyle Wolfe

Re: Insurance question

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

For any of you with Travers, who is the carrier? I just got a quote from them with Brit Polk and Associates as the company. I'm told they are an A rated company. Haven't yet found much info on them. Anyone have any experience with them? (I know, I've got to do all the other policy comparisons - just looking for personal experiences you might have with the company/carrier)

Again, who is the carrier that Travers is using to write the policy (I heard them say Brit Polk - never heard of that company nor can I find any info on them) and do you have experiences with them - the insurance company?
Last edited by Kyle Wolfe on Sat May 31, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I am with AIG (through a broker here in the Bay Area). Aircraft liability: 1,000,000 PAX: 100,000 Medical: 1000 each Hull Value 53,000.
ATP 6000 +, 600 in type. Premium 1,315.
I had to submit an equipment list to get the hull value approved at 53,000.
No claims experience with AIG.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Through Traver's: Similar liability as everyone else and $45K hull. $1060 per year. All credits for time experience are maxed out. No claims.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

My policy I received from Travers says AIG Aviation on the cover and the issuing company is listed as the National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburg, PA.
Anna Rice from Travers has been friendly to deal with and being a first time owner with a TT of a little less than 200 hrs, tailwheel time less than 20 hrs. and time in type zero, $1500 per year seems very reasonable. The particular numbers for coverages and liabilities are very much like those mentioned by everyone else.
She did mention I could look forward to a little lower rates at renewal once I built up some time after the first year.
The prerequisites were the typical 10 hrs dual instruction, 5 hours solo for a zero time in type pilot.
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)