2008 Wandering

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sloPoke

photos

Post by sloPoke »

I bought a card reader today and downloaded some photos. I put them on flickr, but I'm having trouble getting them to show up on this post. The library's closing, so I'll try it again tomorrow unless I'm flying. Decisions, decisions.
C.
sloPoke

photos

Post by sloPoke »

I flew nonstop Orcas to Ketchikan on Tues. 4 1/2 hrs. No problems. Got fuel and met up with Ray, who I'd met at Orcas island. He's flying a cozy. We headed for Wrangell and did some formation for photos. The gas guy at Wrangell, Mike recommended a camp ground on the far side of town. It was quite a ways with no back pack, but was a nice place near the water with great view.
Yesterday flew up the Stickien (sp?) River for a ways then cut over some glaciers and across Petersberg, over Sitka for some photos then in to Hoona. I met Mike Jackson there who flies a 170 with big tires off many of the beaches around for fishing trips. So I'm at Mikes for the night.
I have loaded several photos on flickr.com but I can't get them to insert properly onto a post to the forum. Any one know what I should do to get them to come out?
The weather was perfect all day yesterday, so I did a tour of Glacier Bay and stopped into Juneau for fuel. It was cheaper there than at my home airport in San Diego.
Charlie
Moderators not: I edited Charlies html he included here, which I'm sure made no sense to anyone, to at least show on photo he wanted to share.

sloPoke

photos

Post by sloPoke »

I just did a write up on the trip so far and managed to have it vaporize, so here are a few photos on my website.
I can't figure out how to imbed photos from flickr.
http://home.earthlink.net/~slopke/

I've been from Hoonah up to Haines for the 4th. Then back down to Ketchikan and off to Prince George over night in Quesnel, BC down the Frazier River valley to clear at Bellingham and am wandering about WA.
Charlie
PS all the photos are in jpg this time!
Jr.CubBuilder

Re: 2008 Wandering

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Thanks for the pictures, I'm jealous. How was Powers when you camped there? I stayed there three years ago, a guy named Pat was whacking golf balls on the runway when I came in, he gave us a ride into town and back in an old pickup. We got the quick tour of town including a non-stop dialog of who was doing who and what was where. Then we loaded up on some stuff at the store, he gave us a ride back and lent us his old golf clubs and some range balls. After that it was basically dead quiet except for a couple on horseback who were briefly there, then the occasional grunt of a cow and the creaking of the windsock (or what was left of one) as it twitched on it's pole. I had a great time hanging out, drinking some beers and watching the stars come out, but the wife was not impressed with the place and indicated she wouldn't be staying there again. Overnight the temp got down to 27f and the plane had about an 1/8th inch ice crust on it that had to thaw off when the sun poked over the mountain.
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

Great pics SloPoke. That shot of your plane at Powers is great.
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

I hit the weather better at Powers than JrcubBuilder. The temperature was comfortable and it wasn't blowing a gale like at Gold Beach. The only activity at the field was an instructor that brought a student in for his first solo, but decided there was too much cross wind and a guy in a 150 that was scouting it for a fly-in. He said that they were bringing in a new portajohn, which was a great idea as the one that was there was pretty scarey .
I walked into town and checked out the grocery store. Didn't think it was too far, but I walk a lot normally. In the late afternoon a kid on a dirt bike made some speed runs down the strip a few times. Hopefully there's some fish in the creek, but bringing your own entertainment is recommended. When I woke up in the morning it was zero/zero in fog, but it lifted pretty quickly and the temp was fine. The sign to register was all shot up and the pole with the registration log was knocked over and pretty much destroyed, so I was a little concerned that someone might not like the airport being there, but my stay was uneventful.
Probably a nice place for a picnic. Last year I went into Minam over in eastern OR and really liked it there. Of course they have a lodge with meals and showers. I met a bunch of Morgan horse enthusiasts that had ridden in. You can only get there by horse, hike or plane. If you want to bathe at Powers it's pretty much the creek and bring your drinking water in.
Charlie
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

That "creek" is the Coquille River. It's huge! Zero/zero in the mornings at Powers are par for the course, given that it's in the Coquille River valley, which directly connects to the ocean. It's a neat place.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

1SeventyZ wrote:That "creek" is the Coquille River. It's huge!

Ummmmmmmmm still looked like a creek to me :lol: