Stc for 180 leg gear on 170b

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Koop

Stc for 180 leg gear on 170b

Post by Koop »

I would like to know who owns the StC for changing the original 170 landing gear to 180 gear. I haven't been able to find one. koop
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It's a very common mod,but as far as I know it's requires an FAA field approval,no STC was ever issued for it. A member in Montreal (Erik Leclerq) is working on getting an STC with Transport Canada.It might be that it'll be just a one-time-only,one-airplane-only show.

Eric
Koop

Post by Koop »

Thanks Eric---koop
Koop

Field approval for 180 leg gear

Post by Koop »

I have been told by our FSDO Office in Hillsboro,Or. that they are doing no field approvals at this time. I was told to put the original 170 gear back on or they might give me a ferry permit to go to Washington state and have it done there. Does anyone have a clue as to why all states don't have the same rules as to field approvals? Can some one enlighten me how I go about getting a field approval? I assume you fill out the 337 with all the information, send it to the FSDO office in Spokane and they send me a copy back saying it has been approved. The 180 gear was on the aircraft when I purchased it and I have no idea why I opened my big mouth. I thought when working with the FAA I was among friends. They said the would help me in anyway they could! No help as of this date.
koop
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Fly it to Alaska and get a field approval. :lol: Every FSDO seems to have there own interpritation of the FAA's stand on field approvals. Things aren't too bad up here but Alaska has a semi exempt status on the FAA's new stand on field approvals. AOPA has been working on the feds to ease up a bit but not much success yet. :? The old saying "Hi, I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help you" is definitly a joke! Always beware when dealing with them no matter how nice they seem. Good luck.
Shawn