ebay Avionics legal ?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gman

ebay Avionics legal ?

Post by Gman »

If I buy some used avionics on ebay - what paperwork does the units have to have so I can legally put them in my airplane?
This whole 'yellow tag' is somewhat unclear.
Can I put an ex -Piper ammeter in a Cessna? Does it have to be a part that has at some time been in a Cessna?
Thanks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: ebay Avionics legal ?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Regardless of were a part comes from a person who is authorized determines if it is an airworthy and servicable part. Then in the case of a specific part like an amp meter an authorized individual determines if it is the approriate part. A Continental cluster gear would not be appropraite for a Lycoming for example even though it might be airworthy and servicable. A yellow tag goes a long way to identifing a part and it says that at least someone thinks the part is airworthy and servicable.

Yes it is entirely possible to put an amp meter with the name Piper painted on it into a Cessna. If the part is the part approved for that application or if the part is a standard part like an amp meter might be.

My advice is that if you don't know what would be an approved part for your application you probably don't need to be shopping for parts anywhere. At the very least you need to get advice from someone who does know who can tell you exactly what to buy and what not to.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Gman

Post by Gman »

What makes a person 'authorized' ? Does he have to be a Avionics Mechanic?
Am I qualified enough to buy a King KNS 80 and plug it into my Cessna and have a mechanic do the paperwork?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Buying used avionics can be a problem. They must be determined to be airworthy to be eligible for installation. Any avionics shop authorized to issue a Form 8110 can do that, as can the mfr'r. Example: When I bought my KLN-88 I returned it to Honeywell (Bendix-King) for a lithium battery replacement. That way, not only did I get a new 10-year memory battery, they had to issue an airworthiness tag (8110), which qualified it for installation.

(To be "authorized" the shop must not only be qualified to work on the unit, but must also have current repair manuals, in other words, they must have a subscription service to the repair manuals. I doubt many "mechanics" have that.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Gman

Post by Gman »

Thanks
MontanaBird

Post by MontanaBird »

Interesting question. I bought all the avionics for my 170B on EBay, during my panel upgrade. But, recognize that all items were yellow tagged, and my A&P inspected them again (visually) before putting them in the plane. And yes, it was all legal.

Montana Bird
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

By the way... "yellow tagged" items of ANY type.... are only valid for the first installation since being tested. After they've been used, removed, and sold again... the previous approvals are no longer valid.... they are now "as removed".
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

gahorn wrote:By the way... "yellow tagged" items of ANY type.... are only valid for the first installation since being tested. After they've been used, removed, and sold again... the previous approvals are no longer valid.... they are now "as removed".
George, were is this written? I am not disagreeing with you, just curious as to the source of this requirement for my own edification. Thanks.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If an engine were "overhauled" or "remanufactured" and installed on an airplane and flown...then removed and sold to you.... would the previous 8110 still be accurate? How about an overhauled generator? What about an instrument that was calibrated, flown, then years later removed and sold to you?

And a radio?
mit

Post by mit »

gahorn wrote:If an engine were "overhauled" or "remanufactured" and installed on an airplane and flown...then removed and sold to you.... would the previous 8110 still be accurate? How about an overhauled generator? What about an instrument that was calibrated, flown, then years later removed and sold to you?

And a radio?

Would it be ok to install and fly? What does the 8110 tell you? What does the log book on the eng tell you....
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mit wrote:
gahorn wrote:If an engine were "overhauled" or "remanufactured" and installed on an airplane and flown...then removed and sold to you.... would the previous 8110 still be accurate? How about an overhauled generator? What about an instrument that was calibrated, flown, then years later removed and sold to you?

And a radio?

Would it be ok to install and fly? What does the 8110 tell you? What does the log book on the eng tell you....

OK now, look.... I was leading into the situation with the radio via a segue from something a bit more familar. Of course the engine might be OK to install and fly. Why? Because it's an item that's easily inspected/tested and determined to be airworthy by most installers and most owners....after all , a logbook record, an oil screen inspection, a compression test and a run-up are all well accepted tests that meet the requirements.

But some items are not so easily tested. Instruments that require accuracy/calibration is an example. Most owners can slide an instrument into a panel...but do they have the data and abilities to determine airworthiness on instruments? Of course not.

Neither do most owners have the ability to determine that a VOR receiver is airworthy, or a transmitter is ON FREQUENCY without splatter, or that a transponder is on frequency without shadows, or an antenna isn't leaking RF or providing escessive SWR's to damage the transmitter, etc etc. THATS what a 8110 tells you. The unit is airworthy and eligible for installation. (And it's required in order to meet the intent of the FARs.)
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

gahorn wrote:
...I was leading into the situation with the radio via a segue from something a bit more familar...
For those like me that didn't know what "segue" means, this from dictionary.com ...

Code: Select all

–verb (used without object)
1.	to continue at once with the next musical section or composition (often used as a musical direction).
2.	to perform in the manner of the preceding section (used as a musical direction).
3.	to make a transition from one thing to another smoothly and without interruption: The conversation segued from travel anecdotes to food.
–noun
4.	an uninterrupted transition made between one musical section or composition and another.
5.	any smooth, uninterrupted transition from one thing to another.
There is a lot of segueing in these Forums!

Thanks, George, for the new addition to my vocabulary!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's not a segue when you simply steal the topic Dale! :lol:

(BTW... it's pronounced Segg-Way).... as in "What does an egg weigh?" :wink:
170C

Post by 170C »

Segg-way? Now George, I thought that was one of those 2 wheeled, battery powered devices you could ride around on :roll:
See you next weekend :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Life is a lot easier for a "Bootlegger" like me. I don't worry about yellow tags, etc. That's one of the advantages of being old, dumb, and partially color blind. If I worried about all that legality stuff on what I consider minor items, I'd probably be even older.
How often have guys bought a replacement starter, for example, from a "Junk Yard", installed and, if it worked, entered it in the log book and flown it.
The entry in the log book probably says "Installed like serviceable item". It cranked the engine, so it was serviceable.
BL