Hero or Idiot

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Hero or Idiot

Post by Robert Eilers »

Hero or Idiot? Whether a person is considered a Hero or an Idiot depends on the outcome of a venture. I have developed a great deal of confidence handling the C170 in crosswinds. Today the wind at my local airport was 340 degrees at 28 knots, gusting to 25 knots. In gusts the wind direction would increase to 350 and 360 degrees. The active runway was runway 25. The wind force came up while I was away from the airport. When I took off this morning the wind was 320 degrees at eight knots. Listening to the ATIS on my return my first thought was to divert to another local airport with a 30 runway. But, I had been handling the airplane in crosswinds well and decided to test my limits and those of the aircraft. On the first attempt at landing the gusts were too great to maintain runway alignment in a full side slip. I also noticed the airport buildings and hangars on the upwind side of the airport were generating turbulence on the apporach end of the runway, I chose to go around and make one more attempt. I committed to myself one more attempt and then I divert to the other airport. I chose this time to pick a touch down point further down the runway and beyond the influence of the airport buildings. On the second attempt I was able to maintain runway alignment between gusts and timed planting my upwind wheel on the runway between gusts. I was carrying some speed and maintained a little throttle and waited for the gust. The gust came and hit the airplane like a hammer. I had applied full aileron into the wind and was working opposite rudder - tail in the air. The gust past and the downwind wheel came down onto the runway just as another gust hit. The airplane started to turn into the wind despite my control inputs so I applied some left brake and it returned to alignment with the runway. The tail came down between gust and I locked it down with elevator and braked. With the tail wheel on the ground the airplane was well able to withstand subsequent gusts and the landing was completed uneventfully. Chance had it that my airport buddies were at the terminal and watched my struggle to land the airplane. After puting the airplane away, I stopped by the terminal for a cup of coffee and to check the airplanes for sale board. My airport buddies greeted me as some kind of hero for having successfull landed the tail dragger in that much wind. However, their praise only caused me to consider what they would be saying if I had wound up balling the 170 up on the runway. I now know my limits and those of the aircraft and won't be testing them again anytime soon.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Hero or Idiot

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You simply did what you knew you and your aircraft were capable of. No more no less. Your airport buddies are jealous they don't have the confidence to do what you did.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Robert Eilers wrote:... I now know my limits and those of the aircraft and won't be testing them again anytime soon.
That tells me you're no longer an idiot. (grin)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

" Good Judgement comes from Experience , Experience comes from Bad Judgement " :roll:
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

The gust is usually reported higher than the prevailing or steady state wind.
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Sorry Green Bean - the steady wind speed is a typo - it was actually 18 knts.
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

Two Axioms that I have heard for many years that are also Trueism.. "Those that have and those that will." , and second, the idiot is the one who will tell you it can't be done while sitting in his rocking chair, the hero is one whom is out there doing it over and over, who will considering the risks, and conditions, but sometimes there are some events that occur beyond his or her control..and it doesn't work out perfect. One learns from their mistakes and experience, both good and bad.

Sounds like you used all your tools for a good landing.. Well done.
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Hero or Idiot?

Definately not an idiot, and you have shown your a Competent pilot. :D

Good job

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've figured this out. You're neither. You're a braggart. :lol:

(Those that can do it..... do. Those that can't do it... instruct. Those that can't instruct.... examine.)

George (FAA designated examiner) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Braggart? Well, maybe. I carry a Saint Jude Medal that has been with me since Vietnam. I developed the habit of rubbing it when I come out the other end of a dicey situation. Exiting the runway after making the crosswind landing I rubbed the Saint Jude hard enough to threaten a small fire. I also developed a new appreciation for the tricycle landing gear.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

How come nobody has mentioned "Luck" in this discussion?
BL
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

LUCK is sort of like the flip of a coin, Heads or Tails,. Luck often means your lucky-if it works out, or if it didn't, it wasn't his lucky day , .. It is a better option to bet on training, practice and experience, which increases the success rate. :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Luck is a lady. He got lucky. He got to fly her. :lol:
(The end results are always unpredictable.) :wink: