Elevator Bell Crank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

william halford

Elevator Bell Crank

Post by william halford »

Is it possible to modify the 170A's bell crank tension with a 170B bell crank. I understand that the 170B's bell crank is counter balanced thus requiring less tension.

Bill
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The bell crank is not counter balanced on 170B, the elevator is. The B has a different shaped elevator that wraps around the sides of the horizontal stab forward of the pivot line. These forward extensions contain weights.
william halford

Post by william halford »

If that is the case, can the B model elevator be installed on the A model with no major involment..
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

william halford wrote:If that is the case, can the B model elevator be installed on the A model with no major involment..
I am not familiar enough with the 170A model to know for sure, but remember you would also have to replace the the horizontal stabilizer as well. I don't know if this is a simple modification, and I have not heard of anyone doing it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No the B model elevator has different hinges than the A and will not bolt up.
You would have to change the horizonal stabilizer and the elevator to a B. Apperantly this can be done as it was to mine. I also know of another A model with the B model stabilizer and elevator combo. Paperwork is another matter!
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com