Correction to my new plane is home...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

learaviator

Correction to my new plane is home...

Post by learaviator »

Bought my first airplane, a 1950 170A with a 180hp C/S prop. It had been setting in Chandler, Az for awhile, had only flown 250 hours in 21 years. The way I found it was just fate. I had looked at several different types and several different 170's most not airworthy. Been looking for about a year. This particular one has MASA STOL, remote oil filter, shoulder harnesses, original wheel pants, and strobes. Seats and door panels very usable, needs carpet, front side panels, redo the instrument panel, rear side panels and a VERY good cleaning. Radios are old, but transponder is good and it has Mode C. Paint is okay considering the age. And for some reason I really like the colors and scheme. I have already decided to paint it in the same colors and scheme, except not run the black line through the N numbers. End it about 2 inches before the numbers and start it about two inches after. It has 3950 TT and 250 since a chrome major. VERY obvious that the last couple of annuals were what a call a number five annual, if the wings and tires add up to at least five your good to go. So it is not leaving the ground again without an annual from me. Did a few engine runs on it, taxied it around a bit, a few cicuits around the pattern and flew it an 1 1/2 hours home. Got away later than I had planned, so I made my first landing here (Lake Havasu City, Az) at night. Wished I had found the rheostat to turn the panel lights on BEFORE the landing...........
Anyway, being an A&P and an I.A. made this airplane very desirable to me, as I learn better by fixing up!
Attachments
Buying the Cessna 019small.jpg
Buying the Cessna 044small.jpg
Buying the Cessna 026small.jpg
Last edited by learaviator on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
fishdoc

Re: My "new" 170 is home!!

Post by fishdoc »

Congratulations!!
The 170 A is a wonderful and capable airplane.
With nearly 100 hours in mine since I purchased it just a year ago, I like it more and learn more about it each time I fly.
What a great way to start the new year.
Enjoy! :D
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Congratulations.

My longest and best friend from grade school days now lives in Lake Havasu City. I have gotten out there to visit a few times and hope to get there at least once a year. We will have to try to visit with you next time I'm out there. Coincidentally he works just a few blocks from Chandler Airport and has considered buying a plane to make the commute from Havasu to Chandler. Guess you found it before he did. :)

Tell us more about the 150 and CS prop. I assume it is a Lycoming. If so besides there is one in Canada and this is only the second I've heard of.

Good luck
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Hey Bruce, be sure and look me up when you come out. We have Desert Skies FBO, we are the cheapest gas around. Our price today is 2.79, full service, out the door, for 100LL. I take care of quite a few tous for my boss here at the airport, you will enjoy seeing them all I can promise you. Plus our BBQ restaurant will be open in a few weeks. I haven't dove into the plane much. The engine has 250 since a major in 1987. No oil leaks though, but mis matched mags and a couple of cracks in the muffler. And a "fresh" annual in July......I call that a number five annual. Count the wings and tires and if they add up to at least five.......you're good to go!!At least the AD on the Hartzell prop was actually done in July, so it has seven months left till the next addy current. 24 inches and 2400 rpm gave me 125mph indicated at 6500 feet.
Last edited by learaviator on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

[quote="N9149A"]Congratulations.

My longest and best friend from grade school days now lives in Lake Havasu City.

By the way what is your friends name? Town isn't that big.
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

Just curious,in another post you mentioned an O360 Lyc. & then a 150 HP so I was just wandering if Lyc. has a 150 HP O360 or is it the smaller Lyc eng or ??? :?
Do unto others............
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Actually yes, I have made a couple of mistakes in some posts about the plane. It is a 180hp O-360 with a constant speed prop. I have been traveling doing these posts and have not been paying attention to what I have been writing.
Zreyn

Re: Correction to my new plane is home...

Post by Zreyn »

I think you will love that combination,that's the way mine is set up & I love it.I've had it since 81 & have never had a minute's worth of trouble from it.Your's looks great in the pics.Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Do unto others............
Bruce Fenstermacher

learaviator wrote:By the way what is your friends name? Town isn't that big.
His name is Mike Price and lives on Mercury Drive. The town is bigger than you think. I looked up the population a month ago and found it to be 56000 or so. Don't know if that includes the snowbirds or not.

On my last trip there mid November I visited the airport. Couldn't find a place to park without going through a security gate. Seems like there might be some parking outside when the new restaurant is finished. I ended up parking at the new FBO at the north end and talking to a nice guy people referred to a Doc. They were just opening their doors and not really up and going.

Were are you located at the airport. I'll definitely stop by on my next trip out.

learaviator

Post by learaviator »

We are the middle FBO, it is now called Desert Skies. We originally built the place in 1992 but we just bought it back . The last people about ran it into the ground and we could not stand to see it like that. Please be sure and look me up when you come to Havasu, I am always at the airport. I look forward to meeting yuu. We have two courtesy vans and you are sure welcome to use one, plus I will put your plane in the hangar, there is usually always room.
Bruce Fenstermacher

I'll stop by but it won't be in my plane as I'm located in PA. We fly commercial into Las Vegas or Pheonix and drive in. Appreciate the offer though.

learaviator

Post by learaviator »

Sounds great, I look forward to meeting you!