Doors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

canav8

Re: Doors

Post by canav8 »

Ok so what is the advantage to the bucket drop shown in the above link. Is it a game? I have a hard time to find a good use. Anyone else? Resupply cooler? Is it like a spot landing contest? thanks, by the way I am serious. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

In the past the search & rescue community was always looking for reasonable methods to supply lost and stranded individuals with emergency supplies from fixed wing aircraft when ground rescue would be delayed. We explored and experimented with padded packs thrown out of the aircraft over the location of the lost person, packs with parachutes, buckets, etc. Now days local Sheriff's Offices are much better equipped and prepared for rescue operations and the need for supplying lost persons from a fixed wing aircraft is seldom required.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Thanks, I guess that shows my age or experience...LOL Never Knew that and never was involved with something like that....LOL
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
sebecker

Post by sebecker »

OK thanks!

~S
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I believe the "Bucket Drop" system was developed by some missionary people in the Amazon area in South America to communicate with, and provide light supplies to, their ground parties where there was thick flora with no suitable clearings for fixed wing landing strips. Helicopters were far too expensive.
BL
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Getting items, like mail or medical supplies, from the plane to the ground is pretty simple. Throw it out.
Getting something like mail, for example, from the ground to a plane takes more skill.
And much more acurate throwing. :wink:
I also think the bucket drop was first done by missionaries in areas of dense jungle.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Nate Saint was credited with the technique. He and some others were trying to exchange gifts with a remote and reclusive tribe who wanted to be left alone and had a reputation of killing all strangers who showed up and asking no questions. Saint and his companions wanted to make friends so they could establish a Christian mission with them. Eventually they were successful in establishing contact and landed and established a camp, and later hosted what appeared to be a successful meeting on the ground, but were later massacred. Years later, Mrs. Saint and some other widows managed to successfully establish a mission.

Now the tribe is inundated with commercial enterprise and exchange with the rest of the world and enjoys the benefits of modern medicine to treat the diseases brought to them.

I guess I'm a skeptic. I'm inclined to think the indians had it right to begin with.

Attempt at dark humor: Do you suppose this is the origin of "the bucket list?" :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)