CO in the cockpit

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Rudy thanks so much for the follow up.
I'm going to follow you're troubleshooting ideas.
I wouldn't have thought about the holes that far back, like the ones that are still open from my float kit installation! 8O
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Javelin has a vent kit for sale cheap that is required for the aux fuel tank but can be used to ventilate the aft fuselage. It fits in lieu of the first center inspection port aft of the firewall on the belly. It has a simple flap valve so that on the ground it stays closed but in flight it will pull air from the aft section forward under the floor and exhaust it outside. It's bound to also pull some air out of the cabin from around the rudder pedals also. It could be an answer for the leaks aft, especially when the Javelin installation also requires drain holes to be drilled in the aft belly.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I have a Javelin tank but no vent kit- I've been thinking about venting the rear fuselage; that would solve the problem of exhaust gases from the belly. Might it also pull in gases from the engine compartment ? Just a thought.
Javelin's been out of business for some time. O&N Aircraft make a similar fuel tank kit. I'll check with Mr. Olson to see if by chance they also make a valve as Dave describes.
Rudy
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Bet the camera bay on mine is guilty too, GREAT information. Would not have thought of openings that far back either. Terrific methodolgy and testing.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Whoops I didn't know Javelin had changed hands or gone out of business. I guess the modern equivalent is done by an STC that doesn't use the vent? Because it is part of the drawings and mandatory for the Javelin that was on the type certificate I figure I need to use it. At any rate I have and can send a copy of the brochure for it if anyone is interested send me a PM with your fax or snail mail address. Don't know how you'd get approval for it now though. It is pretty ugly also.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
H. Mark Smith

CO in cabin ofCessna 170B w/O-300-A

Post by H. Mark Smith »

HI Tom, I had a real problem with CO in the cabin of my 170B. Like you in cruise it wasn;t too bad , but if I did slow flight and also on approach tolanding it got real bad..... Here is what I found
exhaust was "puffing" up intotheheat shroud from the tail pipe end at slow speeds... at cruise hte muffler shroud is pressurized with ram air so littel exhaust can get in.. There are aluminum seals, sorta round looking things that fit between the three exhaust stack riser connection and the stainless shroud. These parts are no longer available and most I have seen are worn out.... same for the bigger one that fits the tail pipe end.
I finally made some out of thin stainless steel and after the muffler was all assembled, but before the tail pipe went on, I put this stainless plate with a 2" hole punched inteh middle between the tail pipe and the muffler. THis all but stopped the co into the cabin.... I also sealed every possibel leak I could find... I have a senco electric CO detector.....
CO is noting to mess with so you have to fix it ..

Mark
Thomas Arsenault

CO in cockpit

Post by Thomas Arsenault »

Hi Mark
Thanks for the mail about CO. I am going to have to look over what you have said and decide what I can do about mine. Are there other sealing material I could put under the clamp?

I was out yesterday and had max CO of 22. I leaned the engine on taxi and had about a 10 knot wind that I think helped. (I have been up to 38 on no wind days)

Tom Arsenault
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

:arrow: CO Expert Model 2002,
supposed to get 5yrs out of it and the cost right now $99.95 1-888-362-7123
Mine's in the mail! I almost dread the first time I fly with it. Cross my fingers, please please don't reveal more things to fix! :P
But if CO is there, I sure want to get it out. Thanks for all the guidance on this issue! http://www.aeromedix.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Inform yourself about the differences between "home" or residential units and aircraft units. Those residential units mfr'd in the US have such high "trigger" levels they are virutally useless in aircraft. The Canadian units (or those specifically designed for aircraft) are much better for aircraft use.
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

:) I finally remembered to take the portable CO (aircraft unit) detector to the plane. Sitting on the ground, warming up, I wasn't getting any detection. So I opened the Cabin Heat. In just a few mins the readings started climbing, 2 ppm, 6, .... 26, I closed the source and opened the windows. Readings started falling, hanging around 2 ppm for a bit. Stayed 0 after that, on the ground and while flying. Peace of Mind!
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

David, it's not supposed to do that. You should be able to use cabin heat safelly, without CO. You may have a crack in your right muffler.
Rudy
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Annual 3 weeks ago revealed 3 pin holes in the right muffler as you suggested Rudy. No CO detection Cabin Heat on / off, ground or air, now. Guess I won't get to cash my wifes Life Insurance Policy, in now? :wink: