How to find a 180hp 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jon Stark

How to find a 180hp 170B

Post by Jon Stark »

Where would you folks look for a 180Hp/constant speed prop modified 170B. I am looking for a flying restoration project so looks and radios don't much matter but price does.

thx, Jon Stark in Los Angeles
Last edited by Jon Stark on Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

I see there is a 55 170 B with the conversion on Ebay.
Larry
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

That one is now on for the second time. It got to about $42k last week and didn't sell. Note it has a fixed pitch prop which takes away a lot of available horsepower at takeoff. It's probably a hollow crank though so a $7500 prop and spinner would fix it. Plus governor and control cable.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Robert G. White

180 HP Cheap

Post by Robert G. White »

Jon and others:
There is a '56 172 TW conversion with a low time 180 HP :D conversion for sale at: http://www.salvagesale.com
It has been groundlooped :oops: and most of the damage is to the gear box area it also has lots of mods and goodies 8) Hummmmm :roll: maybe I'll put a bid in myself. I was going to convert my square tail. This might be better esp since has all the paperwork done 8O Just kidding :wink: I have too much work in my plane now to ever consider another. :D
Blue skies to all, Bob
Bob White
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Jon,check out the Trademart forum on this site. There was an ad posted about 10 weeks ago for a pretty 180 horse 170B.
Bob,I checked out the 172 TD wreck on the salvagesale site. I have a photo of this airplane that I took at the 1998 Northwest EAA Arlington Fly-in. A few years later,a friend of mine ( a 170 owner) moved to Grand Junction,Colorado and was working on his commercial & CFI tickets at Strand Aviation there. He told me about a colorful 172 TD that Strand had bought--turned out to be the same one. I think they bought it to do tailwheel training with,they kinda needed something with a little extra power due to the high elevation there.
Well,it looks like a real lesson was taught to someone--can you spell "groundloop"? Man,somebody tore that poor old airplane a new you-know-what! What a shame,it was a nice airplane although a little too gaudy for my tastes. Jon,if you're looking for a project,check it out! That one'll keep you busy for a few years!

Eric
Robert G. White

Post by Robert G. White »

Eric: I bet the pilot can spell "groundloop" now. Although the plane has significant damage, it ought to be repairable in the ordinary sense... at least there are plenty of old 172 fuselages in the salvage yards. It will probably sell for the value of the engine and avionics, which is more than the salvage outfits usually bid.
Blue skies to all, Bob
Bob White
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Yes someone did a gine job on that one. Note the A4M is a solid crank and you don't get the benefits of a controllable speed prop.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

When I had looked at that airplane,I never noticed (or remembered noticing anyway) that it has a fixed-pitch prop. I've only seen 2 or maybe 3 like that, usually they're constant speed. I know a guy who has an IO-360 Continental converted 170 with a fixed-pitch prop,the only one of those I've seen without a c/s.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

IO-360 converted 170 with a fixed pitch prop..... What a waste!
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

That fixed-pitch IO-360 is set up for climb--I think it's got a 76-53 or 55 MacCauley-- but still manages to cruise at 135 or so from what he's told me. He bought it that way,not necesarily his choice of propellers but that's what it had. Fixed pitch avoids some added weight,complexity and cost,so I can see why someone might go that route. Don't know if I would,but I might consider it.
It all depends on the mission. The Cessna Birddog had a 213 horse O-470 but a fixed pitch (90"!) propeller. The Piper PA-25-235 (Pawnee ag plane) has a Lycoming IO-540 and a fixed pitch prop. Obviously cruise speed is not a factor for either one of those.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Speaking of added weight I just came across the weight of the IO 360 the other day and it was a LOT heavier than the lyc O 360. I don't have the info here but it was 30 lbs or more as I remember.
I wonder what RPM your friend uses to get 135 mph and what power setting and fuel burn that equates to as that's about what I get for speed at 65% now with 30 less ponies and a constant speed. I also wonder how he'd do here at 5000ft altitude on a warm day. It just seems to me if you're going to pay a lot of money to get more horsepower you'd want to be able to use it the most efficient way. I could see a fixed prop on a floatplane that won't get a lot of cruise speed out of high horsepower or the agplane but I know if it was me I'd be sitting up there on a long cruise wishing I could fatten up the prop. Maybe with 210hp you can live without using it all but my friend here with a 170 and O360 fixed pitch doesn't perform well at all compared to mine on takeoff and his cruise speed is not as good either. So I guess I'll reserve judgement on the fixed pitch IO 360 but I know for sure it wouldn't be what I'd want with my LYC. BTW I did learn recently that the Hartzel H2CY sries compact prop no longer has the 60 month required overhaul period so other than the initial cost (choke) the maintenance should be affordable. Set me up with some rides this Summer and then I'll know.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

According to Continental, my IO-360 engine weighs 78 pounds more than the O-300. I assume this to be a bare, empty,dry weight.
My performance using a 7860 prop at 2450 RPM was 120 mph TAS burning 7.7 GPH. Same as the old C-145, but it climbs about 2.5 times as fast. Gets off a lot quicker too.
However, it's really draggy on a long cross country trip so I' going to an eighty inch constant speed from a C-182.
BL