Max Performance Landings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

There are times with short strips, when a clearing to the side can allow you to have the plane rolling tail up when you hit the straight section. Effectively creating a longer runway.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have seen that some people fly a HUGE pattern. I don't know who's taught them that,if they learned to fly at a real big or real small airport or what,but sometimes it's really a bummer to be behind them in the pattern. Especially if several others are landing also,the pattern tends to get bigger and bigger and you gotta either follow along,do a 360 (which isn't always possible) or exit the pattern & re-enter.
My point is that big patterns don't always work. At some airports,especially the mountain &/or back country variety,the terrain often demands a close-in pattern. Likewise weather conditions sometimes demand this also,like a fogbank right off the end of the runway. I usually try to fly a close-in,tight pattern,but realize that the visual cues are different for a big pattern. Also the cues are different for a straight-in,which I don't especially like but sometimes have to do.
I think it's a good idea to practice a variety of approaches and patterns,so when a non-standard approach and pattern is called for you can do it. Just like keeping current on both wheel landings & three-pointers.

Eric