Prebuy knowledge

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Prebuy knowledge

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I learned how to fly in my Dad's 48 170. Now have the bug to buy a 170. Besides a good pre-buy and joining the Association, what words of encouragement are you willing to share? What should I be especially aware of or shy away from? Where's the best place to learn more about this topic?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Right here.

Read all of these posts. Some will not apply to a 48 but most will and you may find a new model you just have to buy.

Make notes as you read the posts then ask questions of the group.

Use your new found knowledge to start looking for a mechanic who may know something about them. And start looking for a plane.

Where are you located? There are several knowledgable people who post here and you may be across the taxi way from them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Clik on the following subjects in this Forum to get started:

Thinking about a 170
Questions regarding buying a 170A
how about price
Another 170 newbie with purchase questions
170A vs 170B
'52 or '56
How to find a 180 hp 170B
Maintaining a 170?
Continental 0-300A has not run since 1995 - suggestions?
In Trademart look up, good 170A For Sale.

Wonder if these could all be lumped into 1 folder titled, "Buying a 170".
Last edited by David Laseter on Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I would suggest a title search as well as a prebuy. Make sure the prebuy is NOT by the mechanic who has been maintaining it. He will tend to tell you better than it is to protect his pride, plus if he's missed it for 10 years he'll miss it again.

Kelly
Kyle Wolfe

Prebuy

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks for the replies.

Bruce, I'm located in southern Minnesota.

Any of you other MN members locaed in Southern MN? Anyone know who's a knowledgeable 170 mechanic in Southren MN?

David, good idea about putting together a folder on buying info.

Have been talking to an owner of a '52B that's in the Indy area. Would also be interested in any other midwest 170 that I could look at. I'm gunshy about just seeing the bird in pictures and making a decision.
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

After moving from Alaska and NOW having my plane hangered.
My first suggestions is to find a hanger before the plane, if at all feasible.
Second suggestions is to leave Minnesota AND your Snow Shovels behind, and move to where no one knows what that BIG Blade is, extending from the front of your truck. :lol: :P
Good Luck,
Dave
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Kyle,if you decide you want a ragwing (48 model),I know of one for sale by an Association member here in Washington (email MrCessna170@cs.com ) It's a nice airplane,not an Oshkosh-winner but a good everyday airplane. He's asking around $29K.
You'll find that B models (and to a lesser extent A models) command a premium price due to the fact that everybody wants them. The ragwing is a nice-flying airplane but often overlooked. I sure like mine,I bet your dad does too!

Eric