tail springs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Russ,Spruce sells the Illustrated Parts Catalog for about $39. I also have the Continental C-145 overhaul manual ($36),the C-145 parts catalog ($23),the 170 owner's manual ($10),and a copy of the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS),downloadable free from the "member's only" section of the Association site. All good stuff and very useful. Only trouble is it costs over a hundred bucks to buy,I was lucky in that my 170 came with all the manual when I bought it.
Some people recommend having the Cessna 1953-62 series 100 service manual also,as the 170 does not have a service manual specific to it.
There's also an operator's handbook for the C-145,I think Univair sells it. I've never seen it,but I'd kinda like to have one. I suspect there's not a lot to it,though.
Univair also sells these manuals,you might check their prices. I just used Spruce prices cuz they're easier to look up.

Eric
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Russ get ready for sticker shock on the bushing. I recently priced it and it was $92.00 for a new one or $65.00 for a used one. 8O cessnaparts.com for the new one or prefferedairparts.com for the used one. Good luck.
Shawn
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Another option for an illustrated parts book is the
McCurtain Technology Group. See:

http://www.mccurtaintg.com/cessna1.htm

The Parts book in .pdf format is only $20.00 bucks
(comes on a CD-ROM). I'm thoroughly pleased
with it, as I can take my laptop out to the hangar/
airplane and work/play with it with the parts manual
on the screen of the laptop. Also, since the parts book
is on my hard drive, I'm always a few clicks away from
looking something up no matter where I am (my laptop
and I are inseperable....).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
russ murri

Post by russ murri »

I have everything except the I. P. book. Thanks I will have to order one. Univair lists the bushing for $27.78 if it is the right bushing, it is listed with the springs.page 13, cat. #200. Russ
russ murri

new twist

Post by russ murri »

does anyone have a steel tail spring assembly box,on there 170. My friend has a B model and his box is steel with phillip head bolts not rivets to hold it on to the fusalage.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Russ, like I said,my ragwing has the later style "finger" bracket. I don't know if it's steel or aluminum,but it is attached with a bunch of bolts,with dished-out hex heads.

Eric
russ murri

Post by russ murri »

Eric is yours open on the top or the bottom mine is the top and Phils is open on the bottom