George and bluelder on Jay Leno

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

George and bluelder on Jay Leno

Post by W.J.Langholz »

ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
djbaker

Re: George and bluelder on Jay Leno

Post by djbaker »

Bluelder got that way because he knows what's important to life. See his comment on WD-40
JIM BAKER
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

-.../.-../..-/./.-../-../.-./../.../..../---/-/.../..../../-/.-.-./

.-../---/.-..
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

You are correct about BL. My Boy Scout handbook won't let me translate /.-.-./.
JIM BAKER
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Jim,
It's been a helluva long time, but if I remember correctly it means "Over" or "Out",as would be used on voice.
Last edited by blueldr on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Who is "Blue Lnr"?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Good question. I didn't want to make anyone feel bad, but we all would have lost on the Leno show. Anyway, I always thought Bluelder was short for Blue Leader and I'm sticking to that.
JIM BAKER
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Jim and John,
The "Blue Leader" thing started many years ago when three of us were headed for a fly-in up in Fall River Mills in northern CA. I was flying a blue and aluminum C-170B. A buddy had a blue and white Mooney and the other had a blue and white Grumman Yankee. I was (Due to my advanced age) Blue Leader.
The other two were Blue Two and Blue Three. They're still known that way today.
When I first got a computer, someone told me I had to limit my address to seven characters so I shortened it to "blueldr". "Gahorn" corrupted it to
"Blue Elder" over jealousy of the inferred leadership. ( Honestly, I do love you, George.) I have no idea what the LNR was in Georges message. Maybe in my advanced years I'm starting to lean in one direction or another. I also am curious about the sign off of LSL. As I mentioned today in a PM to George, my Morse code today is sort of limited to my memory of the A and N signals on the old four legged radio ranges.
Jim, as you no doubt remember, when I sold you that firewall forward C-145 engine, I installed a Continental IO-360, 210HP, engine in my C-170B. Damn Sam! That really makes that airplane. Unfortunately, I busted the airplane and sold the fireall forward to Eric at Sandhill Aviation up in NH. He's going to put it in an airplane from Spain. I'm going to give up flying. I'm too old at 87 to keep fighting with the FUZZ to get a medical with my diabetes. I will miss it after 67
years. If I miss it too much, maybe I'll try Light Sport.
BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

blueldr wrote:... If I miss it too much, maybe I'll try Light Sport.
Fly a J3! I've flown mine down the Mississippi to New Orleans and then around the coast to Sun 'n' Fun. Two years later I took it to Anchorage. There's nothing you can't do with a Cub!* :lol: :lol: :lol:

* I recommend Temperfoam seat cushions....
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Dick, You are an inspiration. Get the cub or an champ and fly when you want. I was with a man, Crocker Snow, when he got his medical renewed at 96. Your just a kid. I still remember the engine you sold me that you said burned a quart every five hours and it really burned one in ten hours, but that's the kind of guy you are. Actually that has always been a mystery to me. I believe you were right and i believe I was right. The only differences in our flying was that because I flew short legs I never filled much above 6 qts and didn't go below 5 1/2. Also I rarely fly over 1500 asl and you fly to 10,000 so maybe air pressure and the heat generated in climb had something to do with it. I'm sure George has the answer. :lol:
JIM BAKER
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Hell, I'm 87 now. If I started for Alaska in a Cub I'd probably be dead before I got there.
BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

blueldr wrote:Hell, I'm 87 now. If I started for Alaska in a Cub I'd probably be dead before I got there.
It took me eleven days to get to Anchorage, and seven home again. (We had 2-3 days of dicey weather on the way up.) What a fabulous trip! I don't know what I could ever do to equal it! :D :D My trip in the 170 last summer was a walk in the park by comparison.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The morse msg sent earlier says:
blueldr is hot _hit and the .-.-. means "end of msg".

The last is: LOL (those are not dots...they are dashes)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
How good are you at "texting" on your cell phone?

Did you see the " U Tube" video of the Jay Leno show where the two young fellows texting competed gainst two older guys using morse code? The 150 year old technology won the contest.
BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I think they were going almost 40WPM. I have trouble writing that fast, even what I know what I'm going to write! 8O
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088