Swine Flu and H1N1

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Swine Flu and H1N1

Post by W.J.Langholz »

All

Yesterday I posted a "cute" picture of a toddler kissing a pig titled "You Don't Suppose....." It was to stir some interest in the media frenzzie and the panic that has been created.

I work for the Pipestone Veterinary Clinic in Pipestone Minnesota. One of the entities is called the Pipestone System. The link below will take you to the Pipestone System web site. The Pipestone system has 12 Veterinarians and close to 600 employess located in 5 states all dedicated to the SAFE production of swine.

Please go to the link below if you have any questions please feel free to contact the poeple listed or myself. Pork is still very safe to eat and has nothing to do with H1N1 at this time

http://www.pipestonesystem.com/pipeston ... 59%3a59+PM

Like always

Dubya :wink:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
cessna170bdriver

Re: Swine Flu and H1N1

Post by cessna170bdriver »

W.J.Langholz wrote: Pork is still very safe to eat and has nothing to do with H1N1 at this time
I haven't yet bought into the hysteria; in fact, I just finished a ham sandwich... :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Its all over blown hype to take peoples minds off of the fact that our Government is spending more money than ever before. But its good for us..........
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

In Egypt, they've been slaughtering all the pigs, which is pretty much an empty gesture as far as the flu is concerned. Islam forbids eating pork, so you figure it out! :?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The only "pork" that is contagious and/or dangerous is the type produced in Washington at the behest of large corporate interests.

I love that pig-kiss photo. I'll bet that kid grows up just fine and healthy. :P (However I'd never let my kid on the other side of that fence. Pigs are not always cute-little-playthings....they can be dangerous.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I flew a H1N1 for the Army. Woops sorry, it was a UH-1H. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cholzer

Post by cholzer »

So far, there have been more deaths in bicycle accidents this year than by the swine flu. The Center for Disease Control, (CDC), lives off of taxpayer dollars. The more hype and hysteria they can arouse, the more of our money they get. Previous poster was absolutely correct in saying it was a distraction to take our minds off of the spending glut going on in DC.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cholzer wrote:So far, there have been more deaths in bicycle accidents this year than by the swine flu. The Center for Disease Control, (CDC), lives off of taxpayer dollars. The more hype and hysteria they can arouse, the more of our money they get. Previous poster was absolutely correct in saying it was a distraction to take our minds off of the spending glut going on in DC.
That's a little bit like saying the FAA lives off our tax dollars and the more they regulate aviation the more dollars they get. The CDC is a legitimate agency that performs an important and valuable function in public health. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cholzer

Post by cholzer »

You're correct George. That's exactly like saying the FAA lives off our tax dollars, and the more they regulate, the more they get. The CDC is as full of bureaucrats as any other government agency. How did we survive before it existed? Talk about the Surgeon General. 75% of the time, they are neither surgeons, nor generals. Want to talk about the gestapo agencies called Homeland Security, and the TSA? They are completely out of control. Another level of government sucking up taxpayers dollars. The older I get, the more cynical I get, and I'm pretty old.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Chuck, the title "Surgeon General" is not a military rank, so it's inappropriate to expect that appointee to have ever held that, or any other, rank. The CDC (and the FAA) were created to fill a particular need and they both do wonderful jobs serving us all most of the time. Would you want your child to travel on a contraption built by someone who never submitted it to proper design and testing, or fly in an airspace system that had no certification authority? Of course not.

But I understand your frustration with bureacracy. Read my thread on the eAPIS. It's an unfortunate example of how large agencies suffer.

Stay critical and vocalize the criticism to the agencies and the representative who can do something about it. I'm right with you.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

cholzer wrote:You're correct George. That's exactly like saying the FAA lives off our tax dollars, and the more they regulate, the more they get. The CDC is as full of bureaucrats as any other government agency. How did we survive before it existed? Talk about the Surgeon General. 75% of the time, they are neither surgeons, nor generals. Want to talk about the gestapo agencies called Homeland Security, and the TSA? They are completely out of control. Another level of government sucking up taxpayers dollars. The older I get, the more cynical I get, and I'm pretty old.
Cholzer

You are more than welcome to join my club, it's called "The Curmudgeon Club" don't be surprised but there are more members than you think :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

W.J.Langholz wrote:
cholzer wrote:You're correct George. That's exactly like saying the FAA lives off our tax dollars, and the more they regulate, the more they get. The CDC is as full of bureaucrats as any other government agency. How did we survive before it existed? Talk about the Surgeon General. 75% of the time, they are neither surgeons, nor generals. Want to talk about the gestapo agencies called Homeland Security, and the TSA? They are completely out of control. Another level of government sucking up taxpayers dollars. The older I get, the more cynical I get, and I'm pretty old.
Cholzer

You are more than welcome to join my club, it's called "The Curmudgeon Club" don't be surprised but there are more members than you think :lol:

W.
You betcha...been a member for a long time now.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

YEAH BUT YEAH BUT CRUMIGEN IS TU HARD TU SPEL

SO IME JOIN THU GRUMPY OLE MAN CLUB. EVER MEMER GOTS TU HAV HAD LEAST ONE BROKE MAJER BONE AN LIVIN ON A FIX INCUM AN CANDY DATE FER COPD :lol:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

In all the media hype over this latest scare, they somehow forget to mention around 30,000 people die from flu EVERY YEAR anyway.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

hilltop170 wrote:In all the media hype over this latest scare, they somehow forget to mention around 30,000 people die from flu EVERY YEAR anyway.
Those deaths are due, by and large, to the viruses the epidemiologists know and understand. The concern about H1N1 is because it's a new variant that the epidemiologists don't know anything about. How communicable is it? What is its fatality rate? In the early stages those things aren't known, so they like to err on the side of caution until they've seen enough cases to begin to have an idea whether it's going to go anywhere or not. If not, the story dies down. If the virus turns out to be really dangerous, then the "excess" caution will have turned out, in hindsight, to have been appropriate. If I were a CDC doctor with responsibility for public health, I know what I would do.

John