AK fly-in buzzkill

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zenpilot

AK fly-in buzzkill

Post by zenpilot »

Well, I busted my hump this morning to get the "chores" done, drove down the hill to the airport, loaded up the airplane with the dog and my pack...all excited to get out to the annual summer solstice fly-in at the 8 Mile strip. And then ol' Murphy showed up...battery was completely dead. Not exactly sure why, but I suspect that the "Master Switch - On" position may have had something to do with it. Damn airport gnomes.

So, I hand propped the motor, started right up, but didn't show any movement on the Alternator gauge. Figured I'd break the error chain there, so I opted not to head out the 55 or so miles to the strip. I knew that I'd be able to hand prop it the rest of the day, but once Mr. Murphy is around, he doesn't just leave without a couple more hijinks.

I'll pull it and put it on the charger later, to see if I wasted it, or if it will take a charge and keep on ticking.

Bummed out that I missed the event, was gonna be my first. Hope it was a blast; looks like the WX cleared enough to be a nice day out there.

Karl
N43F
1954 170B (B is for battlewagon)
Brad Brady

Re: AK fly-in buzzkill

Post by Brad Brady »

Karl,
Good call, I have a problem with taking off with a completely discharged battery......Yea you can start and charge the battery with an arm-strong starter.....But you never know what is happening in the battery box.....Obviously a lot of acid gas, and that is just going to create problems in your battery case.....The best way to fix a battery problem is start with a fully charged battery and go from there.....Brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep, good decision-making skills.

An alternator cannot begin to re-charge a battery because it's "field" is not activated except by existing aircraft current (normally supplied by the battery...but yours was dead.) The only way to get things going again is to "jump-start" the battery with jumper-cables.... an excellent reason to install a ground-service plug so you don't have to open the cowl and/or the battery box to jump-start.

A generator-equipped airplane has an advantage in this situtation because a generator's "field" is already magnetized (polarized) and will activate the generator and re-charge the battery after hand-propping.

See the discussion on Battery Power Receptacle (in the Hangar forum) if you have further curiosity on the matter. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=6287
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Zreyn

Post by Zreyn »

Somebody remind me,why did we rush to alternating current generators in the first place? I don't remember having any big problems with the old DC generators & as Gahorn mentioned the DC generator has certain advantages.
Do unto others............
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Zreyn wrote:Somebody remind me,why did we rush to alternating current generators in the first place? I don't remember having any big problems with the old DC generators & as Gahorn mentioned the DC generator has certain advantages.
They appear to have greater capacity (amps), and they produce more current while you're idling, waiting for your clearance and turn on the runway. Anything else? That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else can explain the capacity thing.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
bpaige

Post by bpaige »

Zreyn wrote:Somebody remind me,why did we rush to alternating current generators in the first place? I don't remember having any big problems with the old DC generators & as Gahorn mentioned the DC generator has certain advantages.
Alternators have the great advantage over direct-current generators of not using a commutator, which makes them simpler, lighter, less costly, and more rugged than a DC generator. The stronger construction of alternators allows them to use a smaller pulley so as to turn faster than a DC generator, improving output when the engine is idling. Alternators use a set of rectifiers (diode bridge) to convert AC to DC. To provide direct current with low ripple, alternators have a three-phase winding. Alternators are also lighter and easier to package on the engine.
Last edited by bpaige on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I sure wish someone would post a comment in the forum next year about the fly-in before it happens. This is the second year in a row I missed it. I read the Flypaper when it comes out and by the time of the fly-in, I forget about it. And there I was at home all day working in the yard when I could have been flying and eating hot dogs.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Richard!

Don't forget about NEXT YEAR! (Hope that helps.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Thanks George, you reminded me just in time so I'll forget it.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I take it that you're in AK and not TX these days? I'm in Grapevine going thru Initail KingAir350 type. Wondered if you're in town for a beer.
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

I had always thought that a dead battery would charge off of a generator after armstrong starting, but I now believe that a battery can be too dead to take a charge. I had left my master switch on far to long. I hand propped, and was off for a three hour flight. Everything went well until I pulled the throttle on downwind. Lights and radio went dark and silent. I put it on a charger overnight and everything came back to normal. I now leave my rotating beacon switch in the "on" position so I can hear and see the switch is on.

Larry
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:I take it that you're in AK and not TX these days? I'm in Grapevine going thru Initail KingAir350 type. Wondered if you're in town for a beer.
I'll take a rain check on that beer in October.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Larry Holtz wrote:I had always thought that a dead battery would charge off of a generator after armstrong starting, but I now believe that a battery can be too dead to take a charge. I had left my master switch on far to long. I hand propped, and was off for a three hour flight. Everything went well until I pulled the throttle on downwind. Lights and radio went dark and silent. I put it on a charger overnight and everything came back to normal. I now leave my rotating beacon switch in the "on" position so I can hear and see the switch is on.

Larry
Larry, I miss spoke as George pointed out earlier. The field needs excited, if the battery is completely dead....nothing will happen on the charge side. You can start the engine and excite the field with a 9 volt transistor type of battery...But the best way to fix a dead battery is pull it.....(I don't like to leave a battery in the box because you can get acid run off and have corrosion issues in your box). charge it and check it for load....If every thing is OK then you are good to go....Brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In order to get the battery on-line for charging you have to find a way to get the battery relay (on the front of the battery-box) to close. In order to do that you either must have at least a token amount of charge in the battery (sufficient to operate the relay), or you must jump across the two large terminals of the relay while the cockpit master is activated. That is done automatically if you have the diode I described in the other message thread regarding voltage "spikes" installed on the relay per the Service Bulletin.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I now leave my rotating beacon switch in the "on" position so I can hear and see the switch is on.
Hey that's a good ideal Larry!