170a flap spring bracket and rudder tab holes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

azmuth1

170a flap spring bracket and rudder tab holes

Post by azmuth1 »

I am a new member and a new 3-week owner of a 1949 170a. Joining this association is the best move anyone could make who owns a 170.

After gett'n my nose really down to it, I have found that the flap bracket 'hole' the flap spring connects to on the flap side is egg shaped from wear. Also, the rudder tab 'hole' where the tail wheel chain-spring connects to the rudder is also egg shaped. From the looks of it, I'm not the first one with this issue.

Hanger rats that I've talked to suggest a couple of small washers welded, brazed, or some other way attached on either side of the 'hole' should remedy the issue. Is there a repair solution anyone can suggest?

Thanks for your comments,
Rookie J. Edmund
GAHorn

Re: 170a flap spring bracket and rudder tab holes

Post by GAHorn »

A typical repair of this type involves rivetting a doubler over the area and re-drilling the hole. The steering tabs can be replaced, they're only rivetted on to begin with. (And they are not critical, so you can let them wear a long ways before you worry about it.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
azmuth1

Re: 170a flap spring bracket and rudder tab holes

Post by azmuth1 »

Sounds like the best cure. Thank's for your remedy.
:D