diagnostic dillema

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DWood

Re: diagnostic dillema

Post by DWood »

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in while
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DWood wrote:Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in while
Only with a good website forum! :lol:
http://www.findnuts.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Post by DWood »

George:
That is quite a website and it would be absolutely perfect if they also sold 170 parts. Nothing better than peanuts, popcorn, and 170's. :D
Thx,
Dan
krines

Post by krines »

We suspected an intake leak from the beginning but with cylinders 4 and 6 being colder it did not make sense as they should have been hot due to leaning. Not getting a boost from the ether threw us off as well but it was hard to direct the spray at the leak. This was a large leak as 1/3 of the gasket was not creating a seal. Also I was flying this thing 8O and picked up 7 to 10 mph at 2400 rpm. Steve
DWood

Post by DWood »

Can you explain how 1/3 of the gasket on the intake elbow "came out". Did the mechanic miss the stud when they installed it, use an old gasket, or what? I am glad that you got it fixed!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

krines wrote:We suspected an intake leak from the beginning but with cylinders 4 and 6 being colder it did not make sense as they should have been hot due to leaning. Not getting a boost from the ether threw us off as well but it was hard to direct the spray at the leak. This was a large leak as 1/3 of the gasket was not creating a seal. Also I was flying this thing 8O and picked up 7 to 10 mph at 2400 rpm. Steve
The leak on #2 probably put cyls 4&6 lean of peak (cooler).

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
krines

Post by krines »

Dan, My mechanic must have torn it on install it was a new gasket and he admits it. Didn't charge me to pull everything including the new points and condensers in both mags. I would have had to do the mags next annual. And I got to experience flying the 5 cylinder version of the 170 which few have done. Only 1 aborted takeoff on the 5000 ft but it was OK on the 10000 ft 8O . Steve
DWood

Post by DWood »

Steve:
I was just curious how this could happen so we all can learn what not to do. I am glad you are flying safely and happy.
Thx,
Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Some installers use a bit of gasket compound on the intake elbow and lay the gasket on that, hoping to keep the gasket in-place while the elbow is slid into-place....but the hazard is that one of the studs will catch the gasket and dislodge it. In some instances it is virtually undetectable as the gasket is not dislodged externally...but INTERNALLY and cannot be seen except with a mirror and some very keen eyes viewing from the pushrod-tube side.
It's best to install the gasket on the studs then put the elbow in place.
intake elbow.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

gahorn wrote:It's best to install the gasket on the studs then put the elbow in place.
intake elbow.JPG
Exactly and a thin coat of tight seal to hold the gasket on the cylinder doesn't hurt either....Brad
krines

Post by krines »

The injury occured just as described by gahorn. A complicatiing factor was the cylinders were installed 6-4-2 in order making it difficult to inspect the 2 cylinder afterwards due to the confines of the rear baffle. Installing the intake elbows prior to attaching the cylinders will allow complete inspection. Steve