Larger Tires for a 170B?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Re: Larger Tires for a 170B?

Post by blueldr »

In my opinion you're wasting your time and effoft trying to get a FSDO to sign off on almost anything. They will stall you forever, always requiring something else. They don't have to approve anything not STCd, so they wont. I'd put the new wheels on and fly it until annual time and plan (if necessary) to reinstall the original wheels for the inspection.
BL
sea1dww

Post by sea1dww »

I understand what you are saying. Frankly, I'm a little annoyed by the whole process. However, I'm a firm believer that anything done should be done right. So I will give the Alaska FSDO time to whittle through their pile of paperwork until they get to my request. I'm sure they are good, but overworked, people who understand oversized tires. I'll contact them again to let them know I haven't gone away and, if necessary, I'll travel to Anchorage to complete the process. I'm not keen on taking a chance of voiding my insurance policy by installing unapproved equipment. Its sort of like waiting on the weather to improve. Its hard to do, but worth while.

Dave
N1946C
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm not trying to plug the wheels but you may be money/time/aggravation ahead to just sell the new wheels and tires to someone who has a plane already approved then take the money and get some of the ABW wheels and tires. They came out with a set of ten inch wheels, it might be worth contacting them as they may already be STC'd for the 170s.
http://www.akbushwheel.com/10x10BushWheel.html

Like I said I'm not trying to plug their product, or be a smartass, but if they are already STC'd, don't void your insurance, are a slam dunk for approval and you don't have to go through the aggravation of taking them on and off to make an AI happy for sign off then they seem like the way to go.

If anyone has used these I'd like to hear about it, as I've been thinking about a set for my plane but I've got other things to work on the plane before I throw money at tires.
Chris Christensen

Post by Chris Christensen »

Once again, I am largely in agreement with BlueLdr and Jr. Cubbuilder.

I spent some time researching how to get larger tires on mhy 170-B.
First tried for the 850s, which a lot of people use, but could NOT find a legal way to do so.
I wanted to stay as legal as possible primarily for the impact of the insurance industry.

I did find a legal, STC supported way to get the Alaska Bushwheels on. I went with the 26".

First ya need to get the STC from a fella in Quebec Canada, which alows you to put 180 gear on a 170.
I HIGHLY reccomend that you also upgrade with the P-Ponk box. I put it to good use once already.
Then Alaska Bushwheels had the STC for the double piston / puck brakes and wheels along wtih the tires.
Believe I gave the Quebec info to the Alaska Bushweel people and elsewhere on this forum.

Once you get used to the SOFTER landing of the 26" tires it is hard to go back to what feels like bowling balls on landing.
More like landing an old 50s Buick. Soft and forgiving.

I have two main reasons for putting on the larger tires.
A.
I have been through the process of helping others get their smaller tires out of back country squirrel holes. I fly alone a lot and so would not have the extra assistance. I have had them work on a couple of strips where the smaller tires would have been swallowed up, but I barely felt the minor bump of running through several of the holes.
B.
Since I use a lot of unimproved runway surfaces, I like the fact that the softer tires consume a lot of the insideous vibrations that eventually smoke rivets, and crack axles, etc. I see them as a long term investment in minimizing wear and tear by lessening the "kinetic impact" of hard tires on a rough surface.
53-170-B+
It is better to be late in this world, than early in the next !
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

The P-Ponk gear box mod makes a lot of sense with the bigger tires also because you're adding a bit of weight and more leverage against the single bolt holding your gear leg on.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

amacbean wrote:We're in the process of getting approval for the 8.50x6's for our 170B and I had a question for you guys - do they use the same cleveland 6.00 wheels as the 6.00x6's I have on now? My mechanic thought the wheels for the bigger tires were, uh, wider? If that's the right term. Thanks.
Did you obtain approval for those 8:50 X 6 tires? I have a call from a member who has his annual inspection held-up due to the installed tires.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

gahorn wrote:
amacbean wrote:We're in the process of getting approval for the 8.50x6's for our 170B and I had a question for you guys - do they use the same cleveland 6.00 wheels as the 6.00x6's I have on now? My mechanic thought the wheels for the bigger tires were, uh, wider? If that's the right term. Thanks.
Did you obtain approval for those 8:50 X 6 tires? I have a call from a member who has his annual inspection held-up due to the installed tires.
Do you (or rather the member) need a copy of the paperwork? Mine is approved on a 337. Been a while ago now...
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

futr_alaskaflyer wrote:
gahorn wrote:
Do you (or rather the member) need a copy of the paperwork? Mine is approved on a 337. Been a while ago now...
Whoo-Hooo! YEs! His inspector would like a copy. I'll PM you contact info. Thanks. (And if you can scan a pdf file and email it to me I'd appreciate it.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
denalipilot

Post by denalipilot »

I've got 337 paperwork for 8:50x6 as well- presently with the airplane at annual, but available after this weekend. Let me know if you still need it. Have 26" Goodyear 337 also.

Denalipilot
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

denalipilot wrote:I've got 337 paperwork for 8:50x6 as well- presently with the airplane at annual, but available after this weekend. Let me know if you still need it. Have 26" Goodyear 337 also.

Denalipilot
Thank you. Yes, this will add to the cause (Library).

gahorn146ys (at) hotmail (dot) com

993 Flying X Rd
Spicewood TX 78669
langleyaero46

Post by langleyaero46 »

Does anyone know if there is an STC which approves 800x6 tires, no bigger, on a 170B. We are in Canada, so Field approval is not an option.
thanks.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

800x6s are on the type certificate already.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

langleyaero46 did or mean to say OR bigger?

8.00 x 6 are approved by the Type Certificate. No further approval is necessary.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:800x6s are on the type certificate already.
Yes, but the TCDS specifies Goodyear wheels are to be used with the 800 X 6 tires. Does F. Atlee Dodge's Cleveland STC # SA02231AK or Cleveland's STC # SA13GL allow for this size tire?
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
langleyaero46

Post by langleyaero46 »

thanks guys.
buzzed right past that on the type certificate, didnt even see it.
;)