Abandoned airstrips

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

km74

Abandoned airstrips

Post by km74 »

I have been seardhing the internet for a few hours looking for abandoned airstrips in Canada. Specifically in western and northern Canada. Old maps show a few but those are hard to come by. Airstrips are not marked on maps or in the canadian flight supplemnet if the condition of it is not known, and some are marked on maps with a U. In the start of the CFS there is a list of abandoned aerodromes but it does not show all of them. Only the ones that remain recognizable. Most of them that I have seen are still in very good condition. Is there anyone who knows of somewhere to look on the internet for old backcountry airstrips in Canada? I love to fly into these places and other little known airstrips. Is there some sort of historical database that would have every airstrip that was ever made and its location? Thanks for any replies.

Ken
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

If the old strips were charted at one time,you might be able to get some old sectionals and compare them with current ones.

Eric
km74

Post by km74 »

I have been looking at old sectionals but to find very old ones would be next to impossible and/or probably very time consuming and expensive. I was hopeing that there was a gov't website somewhere that would have a database of all airstrips ever registered and maybe some that aren't. I figured that someone would have to apply at one time or another to get a permit to do it since everything in this country is so over regulated, and that there would be record of it. I guess I will just keep asking local pilots and FBO's when I go to different places and mark them on my maps. Thanks anyway Eric.

Ken
52170B

Old Airstrips

Post by 52170B »

I bought some old US sectionals at the Oshkosh Fly Market last year and the year before. They were from the 50's, 60's and some from WWII. All were in excellent condition and prices were reasonable ranging from $8 to $45 U.S. Seems to me there were some Canadian sectionals as well.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here are two websites (hosted by the same hobbyist) listing abandoned airfiields. Enjoy...
http://www.members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/
http://www.post8.org/members.tripod.com ... ds_freeman

I didn't notice anything about Canadian fields.