C170A Stalling Speed

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CAS

C170A Stalling Speed

Post by CAS »

I have a copy of the "MODEL 170A LANDPLANE AIRPLANE FLIGHT MANUAL" that I downloaded from the "old" chat site. In part 2 "PERFORMANCE INFORMATION" there is a table of stalling speeds. In the first column it says "NO STALL WARNING IS EVIDENT". What does this mean? Just before and when my aircraft stalls the stall warning horn is blaring and the tail is buffeting - both of which seem to be fairly evident warnings of the stall!

Are the figures quoted accurate in the experience of other C170A owners? The version of the Flight Manual for my aircraft published and approved by the Australian CAA contains speeds considerably lower than those listed in the above quoted 1948 original. In flight I have found it difficult to read an accurate airspeed at the stall.

David

PS. To make them more accessible, it may be useful to transfer a copy of the original Airplane Flight Manuals to this site or the TIC170A site.
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

My '48 ragwing doesn't have a stall warning system. I do get a little buffet right before stall. If I relax the backpressure on the elevator it comes right out of the stall with hardly any altitude loss. If I keep the elevator back, I get a good break and can allow it to go into a spin. I can't really tell the airspeed either.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Stalls

Post by GAHorn »

No stall waring "evident" refers to the ragwing's flight characteristics, ...not the later B-models which had stall waring horns/lights.
Flight characteristics that do not produce buffeting, vibration, porpoising, and/or other obvious handling indicators of stall were required to be noted in the Approved Flight Manuals of aircraft under the rules of certification at the time of the aircraft's production. Later, aircraft that did not produce sufficient warning of an incipient stall were required to have a stall warning system. B-model airplanes were certified with stall warning syutems as required equipment.