180 hp and MOGAS

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hbcroft

180 hp and MOGAS

Post by hbcroft »

Any of you C 170 owners using MOGAS with the 180hp powered engine? I believe there is an STC for it and 92 octane mogas can be burned...Am I right? Is it good...bad...Any advices..experiences,etc

Thanks
Bruno

Ft Smith, NT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Been through this with a Cherokee I upgraded to 160HP. The Auto STC is a airframe/engine STC ie you have to have a qualified engine in a qualified airframe and the STC must be writen for that combination.

Most 180s can't LEGALLY burn auto fuel, some of the lower compression ones can. The 170 airframe can handle auto fuel but since it didn't come certified with the 180 neither the EAA or Peterson has bothered to get a STC for the combination.

If your 180 is on the STC list and your airframe is also but not the combination you could try for a one time approval with a 337.

Good Luck
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2902d

Post by n2902d »

I talked to Petersen Aviation about a MOGAS STC when I bought N2902D. They said all the 180HP AVCON conversions with the electric fuel pump system failed one of their STC tests due to vapor lock/pressure(or something) and they couldn't get it to pass the certification tests required by the feds. Too bad, I was kinda bummed out when I found out I could make the choice between 100LL and MOGAS. C'est la vie.

mike

P.S. I don't know about any of the other lesser known STCs for the 180hp engine. Maybe their STC doesn't require the back-up fuel pump, and you could get a one time approval.