170B Flap Handle Removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Scott Barland

170B Flap Handle Removal

Post by Scott Barland »

George, I am finally getting around to doing the flap handle repair you decribed in the News. The flap cables are detached and the pivot bolt is out, but I have not yet figured out how to get the flap handle out of the tunnel. The shop manual is no help, of course. Spent most of this afternoon trying this way and that, but the welded-in pivot shaft is the biggest obstacle, and the width of the lower part of the handle assy keeps me from rotating to line up the pivot shaft with the fore-&-aft opening in the top of the tunnel. Can you describe the direction you took in getting your handle out without having to cut a slot in the top of the tunnel to clear the pivot shaft?
Scotty
wingnut

Re: 170B Flap Handle Removal

Post by wingnut »

Scott,
It's a sumbitch. I remember trying dozens of different approaches before it just finally came out. It all happened so fast, and under duress, I can't remember a thing :?
Just keep trying. It's not something you can visualize, so close your eyes and feel it out :D
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Scott Barland

Post by Scott Barland »

Del, I can tell from your description that you do know what I'm talking about!! Thanks for reassuring me that it will actually come out of there without having to cut the tunnel. I'll keep trying. Many thanks
Scotty
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Scott, the long pivot bushing and the spacer on the left side are removable if you orient the handle assembly in such a way to slide them out, and must be removed before the handle will come out that hole. I just can't remember if I was able to orient the handle to remove the bushing out the tunnel hole, or angle it downward to slide the bushing out the access hole in the belly.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Scott Barland

Post by Scott Barland »

Roger that, Del. I'm heading back up to the hangar this afternoon and will have another go at it. I'll report back. Again, many thanks.
Scotty
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I cannot for the life of me figure out what your problem IS.... because it is so easy. Remove the top cover of the "tunnel" and take it out. It was really EASY. ( I watched TV while "wingnut" did it.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Scott Barland

Post by Scott Barland »

Del, I got the handle out last night by first removing the sector that the latch engages at the various deflections, then rotated the flap handle 90 degress to right (in yaw), pulled the LH spacer forward, then pulled the pivot bushing forward and out. The flap handle has to deflect the elevator cable to the LH side of the tunnel in order to rotate (yaw), then with the bushing & spacer out, the flap handle can be yawed back to the left and lifted out. You're correct in your description of it being a sumbitch, but was doable with the clue that the LH spacer and pivot bushing were removable. Many thanks again.

Go back to sleep, George. or watch TV ... or

Scotty