C170B 1952 Stab.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jatkins

C170B 1952 Stab.

Post by jatkins »

My stab needs some work, nose ribs bent, and some corrision inside. I have located a brand new stab for a L-19.Does anyone know if this L 19 stab fits on the 170B ? Has this been done before? My parts book does not list the Stab assemby part number ? any help ???
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You didn't say whether you are talking about the vertical Stab or the horizontal stab. I'm sure the L-19 and B model part numbers will be different for both. But I believe if you measure yours, either the vorizontal or vertical, and the L-19 they will be the same. I've been told this by some old timers around here with L-19 experiance. I'm not sure the L-19 or the B model will actually have a part number stamped anywhere in which case if the y measure the same the new stab you found would be looking a lot like a B model stab to me. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Many (but not all) L-19 parts fit a 170B. Many of those parts that do interchange (or nearly so) have almost identical part numbers. The 170B PN will be like 05XXXXXX while the L-19 PN will be 06XXXXXX.
But be careful to have your A&P determine the applicability before installation, and be aware of differences not immediately obvious such as the elevator counterweight horns. Although identical in almost every respect (including the PN similarities just mentioned),... the actual lead weights are different values due to the elevator differences (trim tab weights differ.) Those weights will have to be adjusted, just like any other repair to a control surface for proper balance.

The anecdotal info I have indicates that the 170/170A adapted the C-190/195 tail surfaces, while the L-19 modified them and shared with the 170B.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George

My observation is that the 190/195 elevator is bigger than the 170/170A but shares the same shape. I have looked rather closely at this area on these subject aircraft trying to determine what is installed on my aircraft.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

None of the other Cessna elevators are directly interchangeable with a 170. Also the 170 didn't use the dorsal fairing either. The rudder also has differences, although many L-19 (depending on mod status) rudders will fit a 170. (reminder/disclaimer: the previous comments are anecdotal.)