Arrg. More Snow in the NE

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Arrg. More Snow in the NE

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As I sit here this morning at 08:30 looking out my window it's zero zero. I feel like I'm sitting in a freshly shaken snow globe. Our 4th major snow storm this year. Not suppose to stop snowing till tomorrow morning when we should have between 12" and 18" of snow.

That's about 24" inches of snow this year, more than two feet more than any year in history. Any the weather people are already predicting storm number 5 next week.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bobo

Re: Arrg. More Snow in the NE

Post by Bobo »

Hi Bruce,

I share your weather outlook for today as I sit home waiting to start my snow blower. Looking forward to driving to the airport on Saturday
to dig my plane out once more and then go home because I get plowed in each time it snows. They always plow out the hangers and leave the
snow in front of the outside parked planes. What a deal.
:D
Bob Ohlson
N3857V '49 170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wonder what weight is resting on top of an airplane stored outdoors when it has 2' of snow on it. ....

Depending upon the water content, a cubic foot of snow weighs between 5-12 lbs each. 175 square feet of wing could be supporting between 875 and 2100 POUNDS of snow! 8O

Kinda tough on the airframe....and not a force applied in the direction engineers planned for.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Bruce

I loved to feel sorry for ya .....BUT you're preaching to the choir man......we have had 61" so far this year and the most snow usually comes in march 8O

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce Dont I remember you complaining a few years ago about no snow for skis on the cub? Of course if you want to go out latter in the 50 mph winds you shouldn't need them as takeoffs can be just like at work. I got 58v out last week and took a local flt. Didn't seem too windy until I took off. Then I tuned in to the nearest airport with an awos only to hear the winds were gusting to 28 Knts about 60 degrees to the runway. Then I got to thinking about the snow banks by the runway. So I didn't fly too long but all ended well and I have promised my self I will take a harder look at the winds next time. Must say that it still felt good to get up again. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:I wonder what weight is resting on top of an airplane stored outdoors when it has 2' of snow on it. ....

Depending upon the water content, a cubic foot of snow weighs between 5-12 lbs each. 175 square feet of wing could be supporting between 875 and 2100 POUNDS of snow! 8O

Kinda tough on the airframe....and not a force applied in the direction engineers planned for.
This is exactly right, and I've heard plenty of good advice that snow needs to be removed promptly from aircraft stored outdoors. Where I live, most aircraft are hangared.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

That's odd. The only airplanes I've every heard damaged because of snow on top of them wasn't only from the snow on top of them but the hanger that came down on them JUST before the snow that was on top of the hanger. 8O

All I've got to say is if a Cessna wing is going to fold at Quakertown it won't be mine. What's the chances of a nearly totaled airplane getting even more damage. I just don't see it happening. It will be the perfectly good airplane next to mine. :|

You know maybe if I'd had 2100lb of snow on the wings LAST time winds were blowing at 60 knots like they are predicted tonight, I wouldn't have a wrecked airplane the snow would have held it in place. :roll:

Bruce Fenstermacher

W. I've seen a picture of your snowblower. Your all set.

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:I wonder what weight is resting on top of an airplane stored outdoors when it has 2' of snow on it. ....

The most conservative approved flight load factor is -1.52 so 1.52 x 2200lb. = 3344lb, so no problem.

And if I remember correctly, the ultimate load before failure is 150% above that so 3344 x 1.5 = 5016lb, so REALLY no problem.

Just be sure the wing tie-down ropes are tight and strong enough before you start removing the snow. Use a soft bristle push broom and remove one broom width at a time from each wing so the differential weight on the wings is not too great. Otherwise you have the potential to tip the plane over.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Jimmy M.

Post by Jimmy M. »

Woke up to this a few years ago, scared the daylights out of me.................
Cleaned it off, had a good look, ..........been flying ever since.
They are stronger than they seem ..
cold&snow%20022.jpg
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)
Bruce Fenstermacher

About 26 hours later it is still snowing on and off. Looking at the NEXRAD we'll probably have periods off snow for the rest of the day. Lucky for us the roads aren't that bad because they were to warm for the snow to accumulate for the first 12 hours or so. Drove the 4x4 to work today anyway and glad I did as most of the roads had been drifted nearly closed or at least to one lane.

Don't know if the winds got to 60mph last night as predicted, they're suppost to gust to 38kts today. Looking forward to landing on a roof top helipad today. That's always great fun. :roll:

ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Bruce, waht a wuss!!! I can not believe you didn't ride that Harley!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Jim

Do you recall was that a wet snow...looks like it in the background sticking to the trees. Just wondering because it would make a big difference on lbs per sq in. You being farther nort are most of your snow falls "dry" snow? This year for us we have seen more moister in the snow. We are 60+ inches and the weather man is saying that it equals 5-6 inches of rain, prabably floods this spring all over the place.
I know how to figure snow load on a rafter but it would be interesting to know what the snow load would be on your wings in the picture......wow 8O

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

:D You all need to quit your complaining. This Pacific Northwest guy would give anything to be shoveling snow, sweeping wings are anything else associated with winter. Instead I get to "enjoy" beautiful Hell Rio, I mean Del Rio, Mexico, I mean TX. Where we went from 72 degrees to snow in 14 hours Tuesday. Of course we are back to 70 degrees again. That is fine for fall/spring, but not winter. Oh, yeah, its been too damn windy to fly! Maybe tomorrow. You all be safe, build a snowman for me and when you thaw out, come down my way and I will let you mow my lawn. :lol: :P :wink:

Jughead
Jimmy M.

Post by Jimmy M. »

It was a fairly dry snow, pretty cold......I guess it just snowed all nite
with no wind. I've since taken to blocking the front of the floats to
keep the tail real low so the snow mostly falls off on it's own.
Probably going to look at selling the Chief next spring.....now that the Cessna is up
and running, the old girl is getting neglected.... :(
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)