Keeping a Plane Outside???

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Zreyn

Re: Keeping a Plane Outside???

Post by Zreyn »

I built my hangar in 2001,the building cost $7,500 delivered to the site,the slab was $14,000 the front of the building & four bypass doors I built myself with locally purchased materials for about $2,000.I assembled the the whole thing myself (with the help of friends). The insulation was another $2,000(R10) solely to combat condensation.It is 50x70 feet & there is no way to calculate the value of this building! If I am on this property & not on a tractor or some other honey do mission I am in the hangar.Everything is here from my 170 thru motorcycles to guns to sat TV to cooking range, wash machine & dryer full bathroom with shower.At the time it was the very cheapest covered space that money could buy.It is a"Q" type building therefore impervious to most wind & virtually all snow loads(I know ,I know, I don't have to worry about snow loads here, just telling about the building :) )There are no trees within falling distance so it would have to be a storm that could pick up & drop something big enough to smash the building.Anyone that has ever kept anything for a long time whether it was a book or a ball peen hammer knows that it fares far better if it is protected from the "elements".It's not just the paint it's every single rivet & wire that returns to the earth at a much faster rate outside than in.The warmer & saltier climate the truer this is.(IMO) So IMO if you can afford a building to keep your stuff in,including your butt when you are relaxing,you will be much better in the long run.
Do unto others............
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:A TIC170A wife is the most wonderful miracle God ever created, considering all the poop they put up with. I think God made them out of one of our Ribs...... PN 0523507-1 (Fig. 8, item 12)
The BEST ones are school teachers! They're well equipped to handle those of us who have chosen NOT to grow up... :D

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Zreyn wrote:I built my hangar in 2001,the building cost $7,500 delivered to the site,the slab was $14,000 the front of the building & four bypass doors I built myself with locally purchased materials for about $2,000.I assembled the the whole thing myself (with the help of friends). The insulation was another $2,000(R10) solely to combat condensation.It is 50x70 feet & there is no way to calculate the value of this building! ...,you will be much better in the long run.
Yep, ...Similar experience as I had. 50 X 50 X 18 eaves. Built it in 2000, $10K for the slab, $14K for the delivered materials, and built my own door, most of the work done by myself and friends. The only thing I'd do different would be order a bolt-up pre-engineered rather than a welded-up I-beam construction.

Hangar is the answer to storage, if the land can be owned or leased.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)