Space Ship Two

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Space Ship Two

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I picked up '98C from annual inspection (and $everal repair$) at Mojave today, and noticed the White Knight Two with Space Ship Two evidently ready for flight. Scuttlebut has it that tonight is to be the first "captive carry" flight. 8) . Pardon the crappy photo, but it was the best I could get with my 1Mpixel phone camera at at the distance I was at.
Attachments
WK2_SS2 20100317.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
SteveF

Re: Space Ship Two

Post by SteveF »

Thanks Miles - better than no picture at all.

Can see the mated ships. Will be watching for news. Any idea when they hope to make their first high altitude flight?
cessna170bdriver

SteveF wrote:Thanks Miles - better than no picture at all.

Can see the mated ships. Will be watching for news. Any idea when they hope to make their first high altitude flight?
I did a search yesterday and couldn't find anything. I'll let you know if I happen across something.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I think you need to get back out there and get us a proper photo. Maybe with your 170 in the forground for the calendar.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

It's my recollection that Scaled Composites has a policy of not announcing test flights in advance. They don't talk about them until they're completed.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
cessna170bdriver

First flight publicized:

http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item ... st-flight/

It was last Wednesday night when I saw them prepping. Looks like first flight was Saturday night.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Miles

Can't you sneak in there a little closer with your G-Man badge( :wink:) and get some good pictures and some more scoop on the thing?

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm no arrownawticul injuneer, but.....
.... when I see some of the new "concepts" that are developed.... I wonder if these folks ever read their history...???.... or if they know something I don't.

It seems to me that any flying machine with TWO cockpits will add unnecessary drag (and this was found by the Dornier folks waay baack in WW-2.) In the case of the F-82 "Twin Mustang" ...at least the cockpits sat behind the double-engine cowings, and therefore offered very little additional frontal-area...
f-82_twin_mustang.jpg
... but this Space Ship Two thing...not only offers TWO fuselage/cockpit's to add frontal area, .... but the FOUR engines sitting way out there on the outer wings certainly adds complexity to the empennage, which would need additional/unnecessary rudder to counter the lever-arm of assymetrical power-outages.

At first glance, it appears that the utterly-new creation of the "mother ship" is a wasteful expenditure, considering the numerous existing designs that have already proven their ability to lift and spawn offspring aircraft (the B-52, the 747 and even much smaller aircraft come to mind....any of the aircraft used in the NASA "lifting-body" research should work.) Some of the lifting bodies were even TOWED.* (here's a pic of a DC-3 pulling one of them)
E-10962.jpg
I can think of a lot of airplanes that could tow that thing pretty high and pretty fast.

Perhaps some "prize" money requires all-new concept/design? Even so, why deliberately add unnecessary frontal-area which requires such outlandishly-placed outboard engines? Anyone have input on this?

*http://www.classicalpontiac.com/articles/nasa.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

George,

I think you said all you needed to say in the first four words....

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Good one Miles!!!!!

You can of walked right into that one George :lol: :wink:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I didn't walk into anything. It's my own mis-spell to ridicule my lack of insight into what seems should be intuitively obvious.

It's a serious question. Why would they deliberately set about to build a configuration with such unnecessary frontal drag area and inefficient engine-placement, especially when aeronautical history has demonstrated the penalty? .... unless they're meeting some prize (or grant) requirement.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

cessna170bdriver wrote:George,

I think you said all you needed to say in the first four words....

Miles
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Karl
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George you bring up some good points. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation which just might be the prize/grant money angle. One thing though is Burt has been pretty successful so it would seem he knows what he's doing.

Maybe he's just following the design left him by the aliens. It sure looks that way to me sometimes.:lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The White Knight 2 (the "mothership") is actually a very clean design. It is essentially a very large double hulled sailplane. One of the hulls actually has an exact duplicate of the SpaceShip2 cockpit that can be used for training flights.
Also keep in mind that the main purpose of this project is as a "space tourist" vehicle so it has to have some WOW! factor to attract those young internet CEOs who can afford the fare.
Last edited by lowNslow on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
ASW-20BL
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

George,

Being an aeronautical engineer by trade, I can say with some authority that usually with all aircraft design, if it looks weird or funny, it was done for some reason. As with all designs, it usually a trade off on certain aspects (drag, endurance, payload, etc) that make the final design. The White Night II sole purpose was to carry SS2 aloft. I think Scaled has done pretty well with that mission purpose.

v/r,
Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366