New, versus rebuilt, cyls????

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

derf62

New, versus rebuilt, cyls????

Post by derf62 »

I'm tired of chasing cyls. Need to either have all rebuilt or install new cyls on O300. I am looking for opinions on the new verses rebuilt. Thinking of going with Cont new. Who has the best price? With new Cont cyls do I have any problem with valve guides and auto gas? Surely appreciate any input from fellow members. Also input on pricing would be appreciated.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I had ECI cylinders ("Classic Cast",plain steel) installed at major 2 years/400 hours ago. I like 'em. Still 80/80 at last annual. I have been told that ECI uses better material for it's valve guides,so they won't wear out like the TCM's will. Don't know if that's fact or opinion. If they're better material,maybe they could be installed in TCM cylinders?
If you're gonna do a top OH,I'd go with new. ECI's were about $700 a pop a while back.

Eric
derf62

Post by derf62 »

Boy thats a quick reply. Thanks Eric. Where did you purchase the ECI's?
mit

Post by mit »

I have changed all of my cylinders over to New Cont. over about a 4 year period and have not had any problems with any as of yet, about 400hrs on the oldest. I use a mix of 100 and unleaded.
Tim
zero.one.victor

derf62 wrote:Boy thats a quick reply. Thanks Eric. Where did you purchase the ECI's?
My overhauler bought them.Probably direct from ECI,or maybe a distributor had a better price. At a total of over $4K for the set,it's worth it to do some shopping around. Probably be more kosher to let your engine shop procure them,that way they'll get the mark-up,not some middleman--assuming that as an aviation professional they get a discount that you or I wouldn't.

Eric
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I went with the ECI cylinders at overhaul 18 months ago. After 80 hours three cylinders had low compression. The overhauler removed and repair exhaust valves and springs. And had some mention of carbon. Then at 150 hours one of same cylinders had low compression again. Same thing! Anyway, the overhauler did the work under warranty. I think ECI is gonna pay for removal and replace. I sent ECI an email and explained the situation. They contacted the overhaul shop and seemed to want to help. Just finished the work and have sent ECI the bill. Waiting to see if ECI will do me right. You know, after $16K I would expect more reliability.
Just my thoughts.
Curtis
zero.one.victor

Sorry to hear about your cylinder troubles,Curtis. I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine--knock on wood!

Eric
170C

Cylinder Replacement

Post by 170C »

I did a major OH four yrs ago this summer and went w/ new ECI's (steel) and have been well satisfied. Ran about $625-$650 per cylinder as I recall. Purchased thru a cylinder repair co in Fort Worth that does a lot of cylinder repair including for the cylinder co in OK that a lot of folks recommend. They gave me the choice of having old ones welded, chromed, etc or new ones. About $125 more for the new ones and they are most likely better than the old cores would have been had they been able to have used them. If you need the co in FW let me know.

Ole Pokey
derf62

NEW CYLS

Post by derf62 »

Thanks to all that replyed. I do appreciate your input. I Ordered Cont from "Air Power in TX" Good people and pleasant to work with. Cost $744. ea. and they have a $30. owner and a $30 mechanic rebate taking the cost to $684. ea. Should have it together in the next week or two. I'll keep everyone posted. AGAIN THANKS TO ALL