Is this anybody here?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iceman07

Is this anybody here?

Post by Iceman07 »

In Dubuque, IA

If so, I'm really, really sorry....
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Is this anybody here?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Being a north easterner I don't know how anyone survives let alone an airplane hangered or not, living in the tornado belt. Gives me the shivers just seeing the forcast warning zones and touch down reports on the national weather map.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce Dont count yourself out of tornado danger for sure. We had one at our airport that destroyed a Tcraft and damaged several planes in the same hangar as 58V. Also remember three others within five miles of my house including one within 100 Yds. They are really scary. I still remember opening the door to see what all the noise was out side and feeling the air being sucked out of the house. Its amazing how they can destroy one building and leave another 50 ft away completely untouched. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

I amazed the airplanes are still sitting there!

Rick
Rick
N170MB
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bill remember my airplane was pulled from it tie down and stood on its side a and pushed about 12 feet sideways. The highest wind reported that night by the AWOS 1000ft away was 32 knots. My thinking is a micro burst or something of that order hit the plane.

Yes it can happen here but it seems very isolated compared to what I see all the time in the mid west.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have it on good authority that burning fossil fuels adds carbon-dioxide to the atmosphere and that increased levels of CO2 are contributing to higher occurances of undetected micro-bursts.

More seriously,... Bruce, I know you've seen "dust devils" and "water-spouts", etc.. They will damage a singular piece of equipment and leave nearby objects untouched. They dip down and touch, raise up again and skip, entire objects. I was in a KingAir 200 and once watched one drift across a departure runway ( I could see the grass on one side twisting and it lifting up some loose dirt into dust, then carry that dust visibly across the runway, and then become invisible when it passed onto the opposite grassy area although it's effect on the grass was a twisting/tearing of the vegetation) ...which provoked me to reject a takeoff to the consternation of others who did not/could not see it due to it's invisibility again when it's movement took it away from the paved area and it then lifted up and disappeared and/or dissipated. It was a single runway airport with ditches and no parallel taxiways, requiring me to do a 180 for taxi-back.

(The rude and ignorant comments I received over the radio for rejecting that takeoff in front of arriving traffic was disturbing. A testament to the need for alertness and tolerance in our lives.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

The 170 in the picture belongs to Nick Hirsch. I don't know if he is a TIC170A.
N5740C 1950 'A' Model