spark plug life?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170BP

Post by N170BP »

zero.one.victor wrote:Well,the old ragwing's running like a top once again. I pulled off the mags (2 year old Slicks with 400 hours on them) and took them to a local shop. He adjusted the points gap/e-gap ( sounds like an online clothes store,don't it?),checked the condensors & coils with an ohmeter,and checked the spark performance on his bench-tester. All within spec. When I told him there was 450 hours on my plugs,he said "there's most of your problem right there!". I was skeptical,they looked good & sparked just fine in the tester at up to 80 psi. But I bought 6 new Unison plugs from him. Reinstalled/timed the mags,put in the new plugs on the bottom,& it fired right up! So tomorrow I'm gonna order 6 more from Spruce.
By the way,Spruce & Chief are about the same on plug prices,about 18.75 for Champions & 15.95 for Unisons.

Eric
Good to hear the fix was relatively cheap Eric.

Pancake breafast at Desert Aire on the 14th (we were thinking
about scaring the !@#$ out of the locals by playing some golf too).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

If you're into fly-in golfing you oughta drop in at Skykomish airstrip,about 10-15 miles west of Stevens Pass. The locals have developed a little "chip & putt" sorta course along the sides of the airstrip. They even have an unofficial tournament every year to drum up money for local charities.
The on-site caretaker is named Aaron,he owns an Aeronca Chief. Nice guy,but look out for his propeller-biting dog! (don't ask me how I know!)
Nice place for a picnic or campover,too. Town's a little far away at probably a mile or a bit more,but there's a pretty decent restaraunt. We borrowed a couple of Aaron's bikes & ate dinner there when we camped out up there a couple years ago. Check it out sometime.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

That's just it.... You don't want to be ANYWHERE NEAR me
while I'm golfing (could be hazardous to your health!).

Thanks for the tip though.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

What is the spark plug torque for the c145-2?
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Hi Fede, how have you been? I use 365 inch pounds, and of course anti sieze.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

Hi thanx joe, im fine, and started with a job in real state last week. Yesterday I found a cracked ceramic insulator where you put the cap with the cable, does it mean a dead or unsafe plug?
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

That cracked plug might be lucky enough to help catch a big fish serving as a heavy fishing weight Fede! :lol: Sounds like you need a new plug. Budget is having me buy two new plugs each payday, although, I cheated and bought 4 this time. In the informative gas article one of our members recently made available to us, it states when rotating the plugs to go mag to mag which is easy on my C145 - top to bottom. By staying mag to mag on the plug rotation you have more clues about the health of your mags and plugs.

Take Care and Good Luck in the new job.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

Well, ill look for good prices here. Now im rememberign i think i found one with yellow spots in the insulator near the electrode, but not sure, what does it mean?
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A