15 & 30 Amp Fuses

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Abe

15 & 30 Amp Fuses

Post by Abe »

Recently I was replacing one of the instruments in the panel and in doing so we blew a fuse (15 amp)...I got into my stash of fuses in the plane (that I had gotten at my local NAPA store) and low and behold I found out yet another thing about my '52B...The fuses are Buss AGS not the standard AGC fuses that I had. Luckily a friendly nearby IA had a couple of spare AGS fuses and let us have those to finish the job. I am having a hard time locating the AGS (5/16") fuses and after searching on our site found out that Hill Aircraft maybe a source. I talked to Ron at Hills and ordered the AGS 15 and 30 amp fuses, part # S1091-15 and S1091-30 respectively...When they got here the 30's were the AGS and the 15's were my old NAPA AGC fuses...(1/4") that I already had at a bit more than I can get them at NAPA...

Anyway a question to you all is will the AGC's (1/4") work in our planes even though they will be a bit sloppy in the holder...Hill's was great to work with, but I could save a bit of $$ by going back to NAPA...and I'm concerned about the diameter difference and getting proper fit in the fuse holder....
Bill
'52 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 15 & 30 Amp Fuses

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Abe,

I'd heard that our fuse holders could accommodate both sizes of fuses. In fact the smaller 1/4 fuse does fit in the narrowed end of the holder, at least on mine. However the fuse did not make contact with the back of the fuse holder completing the circuit.

So it was my quick opinion that perhaps the smaller fuse could be made to work but I didn't want to do what it took to do so and just use the bigger AGS fuses.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Abe

Post by Abe »

Thanks Bruce for the info...do you have a local source for AGS fuses...like NAPA or some other auto parts stores?? I paid $4+ and $3+ plus for the one from Hill's and I won't tell you how many gallons of av gas the shipping was for 10-fuses....
Bill
'52 170B
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Ordered a new battery from Spruce with free shipping. I needed a couple charts for the Oshkosh trip so I asked if I should make a separate order. I was told not as long as I didn't mind if they put it in the same box. Got the invoice and the additional shipping for 1 sectional was $16.18. The other carts were back ordered and when I called to cancel the back order and question the shipping I was told they would put in a request for a shipping refund.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Sectionals at http://www.mypilotstore.com cost $7.70, and shipping (US Post) is free.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Abe wrote:Thanks Bruce for the info...do you have a local source for AGS fuses...like NAPA or some other auto parts stores?? I paid $4+ and $3+ plus for the one from Hill's and I won't tell you how many gallons of av gas the shipping was for 10-fuses....
Abe, I suggest you call Hill again and complain. Explain why you sought them for the correct part, and explain they have provided the INCORRECT part. They should make it right, by sending you the correct fuses.

Using smaller diameter AGC fuses in our AGS holders may work...but the fuses are not held securely and the practice may actually contribute to failed fuses because of increased heat over smaller contact area.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Abe

Post by Abe »

I've talked to Hill's and they do have the correct 15-amp fuses (AGS-15) and they are sending them my way and with no shipping and restocking fees and I will return the AGC-15 fuses. Venessa at Hill's was great to work with...The AGS-15 are less than 1/2 the price ($2.50) than the AGC-15 ($6.04)...figure that one out...I'm getting a few of those gallons of av gas back...better go flying....Thanks ....
Bill
'52 170B
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Well I guess Aircraft Spruce is not going to refund the $16.18 shipping charge on the Chicago sectional that came in the same box as my Acft battery that had free shipping. So if you order anything from Aircraft Spruce that has "free shipping" make sure you do NOT ADD ANYTHING to that order. $9.50 chart + $16.18= one expensive chart.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

N2255D wrote:Well I guess Aircraft Spruce is not going to refund the $16.18 shipping charge on the Chicago sectional that came in the same box as my Acft battery that had free shipping. So if you order anything from Aircraft Spruce that has "free shipping" make sure you do NOT ADD ANYTHING to that order. $9.50 chart + $16.18= one expensive chart.
Order your charts from mypilotstore.com. $7.70 for a sectional, free shipping. You can subscribe to updates for the charts you use frequently, and they'll automatically ship the next one when it's issued.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

jrenwick wrote:
N2255D wrote:Well I guess Aircraft Spruce is not going to refund the $16.18 shipping charge on the Chicago sectional that came in the same box as my Acft battery that had free shipping. So if you order anything from Aircraft Spruce that has "free shipping" make sure you do NOT ADD ANYTHING to that order. $9.50 chart + $16.18= one expensive chart.
Order your charts from mypilotstore.com. $7.70 for a sectional, free shipping. You can subscribe to updates for the charts you use frequently, and they'll automatically ship the next one when it's issued.
I will next time. I just wanted to let everyone know that if you order ANYTHING that is put in the box that has free shipping you will still get a hefty shipping charge.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)