More Mods

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Watkinsnv

More Mods

Post by Watkinsnv »

My plane is down for more modifications. I'm installing Del-Airs 30gal fuel tank mod, 67gal usable. I have all most all the rivets drilled out. Next I have to cut out the top skin and remove and mod some ribs. I received my tanks back with the extension added and the internal beef up kit. The new tank covers are really nice. I purchased the Led bulbs that everone was talking about and like them until I saw a set of Aveoengineering, Aveoflash Led Nav/Strobe assemblies. WOW! I purchased a set from Spruce with a lifetime warranty. They don't require any power supplies and they all flash at once. My 170 has a Bush STOL kit and I thought it had the aileron gap seals since it was on the STC until I took a look and discovered they weren't installed, so I'm installing them now. I can't wait to see the differance. I had a very old set of cleveland wheels and dual puck brakes. I just purchased a new set and will be installing them. I also bought an Odyssey battery for the weight savings along with the power supplies being removed from the wing tips for the strobes. After all this is completed I'm going to re-weigh the aircraft and also calibrate a fuel stick and monitor the fuel gauges for fueling tail low and then level flight. A pain but needs to be done. Lance
GAHorn

Re: More Mods

Post by GAHorn »

Tell us more about Harry's fuel tank mod. What does it entail and what does it cost?

I hope you're taking pics and writing an article for The 170 News!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 8O
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

The cost is close to $5600,00 for the 30gal STC mod. Less for the 15gal STC mod. I got an FBO discount. I know you can buy alot of gas for that price. :roll: I'll take some pictures, but I may have to redact some of what's in them. :) Lance
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

Check it out the Fuel Tank Mod is completed. New empty weight 1445lbs first fuel load it took on 71gal. Pictures to follow. http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz103/watkinsnv/
Last edited by Watkinsnv on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The link says "access forbidden" when I click on it.

It works now, thanks.

Is the new tank extension welded to the side of the original tank? Did Delair do that or is it up to the owner to make it happen?

Looks like a great mod for when you need the extra gas.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Nice work, I like how the filler necks are moved further out on the wing. What's next?? :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

Del-Air welds the tanks and makes the tank covers. I also installed a JPI EDM 700 engine monitor with fuel flow. I just turned on the LED Nav / Strobe lights for the first time WOW! So after I get all this stuff going I have try it all out. I also put in a Ameri-King 406 ELT. I purchased the new Teledyne LED Landing Lights which should show up any day now. Lance
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

Holy Cow 8O After 3 Years 8 Months I just got notified that my STC for my Horizon Tach is being sent to me. It was just added to the factory list and is for a Cessna 170B with a Lycoming O-360 from Horizon. I went in and talked to my FAA rep last year to tell him I was having a problem with getting the approval. He guessed 2yrs I told him over 2 1/2 years, He said that that was about right. He didn't want to give me a field approval because the paperwork was in the works to get it added to the STC and was on a FAA desk somewhere. Lance
170C

Post by 170C »

That is an interesting mod (fuel). Best have a mod done on the blatter too :lol: Your mention of the STC for your Horizon tach struck a note with me (or some guy). This guy :roll: purchased a Horizon P-1000 tach for his C-172 and he reportedly has been satisfied with it since its being installed 9-08. This yr @ annual he & his IA noticed that the STC paperwork was missing :oops: A call to Horizon determined that after determining that the serial # of their unit matched the N# & serial # of the 172 offered to send another copy of the STC for a mere $35.00. Upon receipt of the STC it was noted that the unit was approved for Cessna 172, 172A, B, C, D, E, etc. However, the devil :twisted: was in the details. The 172 serial numbers didn't include his specific aircraft :( Turns out the first three serial #'s (610, 612 & 615) don't even appear to be C-172 serial #'s. First C-172 serial # was 28000. The approved serial # starts with 29175---. A call to Horizon, who know that their unit was installed on an aircraft with a serial # beginning with 289_ _ , has resulted in Horizon advising the FAA that they apparently made a mistake and the serial #'s should include ALL C-172's beginning with # 28000 up to an including 29175. Horizon says it can take quite some time for the FAA to act on these kind of matters and they, Horizon, are to advise this aircraft owner when the problem has been corrected (hopefully). Knowing that you have been waiting 3 1/2 yrs gives some hope that the omission of the earlier serial numbers will eventually be corrected. In the meantime the plane soldiers on with what is likely an illegal tach :?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

After not receiving the STC in the mail I called Horizon and she said OH you didn't get it I'll put it in the mail today. Upon receiving it in the mail the AFM and STC didn't match my Lyc O-360 rpm range. 8O So I called them up and said whats up. :| She said she sent me the wrong one mine was special and she would mail it right out. :roll: Today I got an email stating that my STC is not ready yet but that they have asked that it be finished next. I can't wait for the next email :evil: Lance