Oil leaking some around push rod tubes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lynchh

Oil leaking some around push rod tubes

Post by Lynchh »

I am lookin for some help he on what is the best and easiest way to stop the oil leaking around the push rod tubes on a C-145
mit

Re: Oil leaking some around push rod tubes

Post by mit »

First make sure its the push rod tubes.
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Are you talking top or bottom? Assuming you have stock flared tubes and probably leaking at the top.

There isn't any easy way. It all takes time. Leaks at top can most likely be cured by removing the valve cover, removing the rocker arm from the offending side, removing the pushrod from the leaking side, the using a flaring tool specially made for the purpose, reflare the tube. Personally while I was there I'd reflare both sides whether they are leaking or not. Here is an example of the flaring tool: http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detai ... T_ID=4915A

A more expensive way but probably a better permanent fix is to install a newer style pushrod tube which is spring loaded in place and has seals on each end. These are made my REAL Seals. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... odtube.php
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I ordinarily would suggest replacing the old push rods with the Real Push Rod Tube kit. However, I just finished the annual on my 170B and discovered I have an oil leak at the Number #1 push rod seal (Real Push Rod Seal Kit). Stiil, in my humble opinion, the push rod tube kit is a better set up than the original.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

If you do decide to re-flare the push rod tube, be very careful in removing the push rod. There is a cup between the lower end of the push rod and the hydraulic unit inside the lifter that can be pulled out of place and turned sideways. When that happens, the first time you turn the engine after reassembly, the misplaced cup will break out the lip of the lifter body. The ONLY way to replace a lifter body involves splitting the case. Later model lifter bodies have a snap ring to keep the cup in place, but the older ones do not. Take a close look down the tube after you get the push rod out to make sure the cup is still in place before reinserting the push rod.
PushRodFlange.jpg
PushRodFlange.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
davevramp

Post by davevramp »

This is what can happen when the push rod and lifter do not get along. This engine ran for many hr in this condition. I did not find the broken parts of the lifter at tear down. The owner had oil inspections done at oil changes and did not see a thing. These engines just keep running and running.
Attachments
lifter
lifter